Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:55 PM   #11

Well, another camera that we ought to look at is the Olympus E-620 which just got a rave review over at www.dpreview.com.

We also own and use the E-620 as well so we have another sample photo for you to take a good look at. The added inducement with Olympus cameras is that their lenses are very highly regarded and get excellent reviews. Please remember that Olympus cameras, which use the 4/3 imager have a different multiplier (2.0X) than Canon, Sony, Nikon and Pentax imagers.

This photo was taken with the Olympus E-620 camera using the Zukio 40-150mm lens. That lens is small, compact, and very well reviewed, just like the Zukio 14-42mm kit lens. The Zukio 40-150mm lens is now selling for between $120.00 to $135.00.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 7:26 PM   #12

Is it harder to find lenses for Oly cameras ?....the bodies seem to be priced right and the lenses you speak of are fairly cheap, but how easy are they to find ?...can you find them at stores like Best buy and Target ?.....(I see sony, canon and nikon lenses at target but never Olympus).
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 7:34 PM   #13

Another entry level DSLR camera that is now being closed out with the introduction next month of the new Pentax KX model, is the Pentax K2000 camera.

The Pentax K-2000 camera received very good review and was even offered in a kit that included the Pentax AF-200fg external flash. It is a very capable camera that has very good image quality. The K-2000 DSLR camera is also in a two kens kit with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm lens which has always been a big favorite among Pentax DSLR users.

Here is our sample photo from the Pentax K-2000 camera. This is a no flash photo taken at elevated ISO settings.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:25 PM   #14

anthony_b-

I have never had a problem finding Olympus lenses. I buy them on the internet and have really been pleased. No, I agree, you will not find them at the big box stores. However, from my point of view, you only need the Zukio 14-42mm kit lens and the Zukio 40-150mm lens and both are readily available.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:27 PM   #15

Hey there, JohnG-

What are your thoughts on the canon T-1 camera? Is it worth the extra money? We always value your opinions, so it would be great if you chimed in on this one. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Here is the promised ISO 3200 photo taken with the Sony A-230 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, this looks darn good to me...perhaps someone already asked, but my first thought was, did you do any PP to obtain this?
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Another DSLR cameras that is also listed as a low price leader, is the Olympus E-510 camera. www.newegg.com had a promotion on this past Friday (October 9th) on a re-certified Olympus E-510 camera with the Zukio 14-42 and 70-300mm lenses for just $389.00. By Friday at 5:00pm that had sold every unit they had in stock.

What can the E-510 do? Well, here is a photo I took this afternoon of my every patient husband at the same time that I took the A-200 photo that I posted first in this thread. I think it looks pretty good. Tell me what you think?

Sarah Joyce

Out of the first 3, I think this one is the best! It's the sharpest, to my eye. I'm thinking I'm an Olympus gal at heart...
The Canon one was good, too...but it looked like different light?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Well, another camera that we ought to look at is the Olympus E-620 which just got a rave review over at www.dpreview.com.

We also own and use the E-620 as well so we have another sample photo for you to take a good look at. The added inducement with Olympus cameras is that their lenses are very highly regarded and get excellent reviews. Please remember that Olympus cameras, which use the 4/3 imager have a different multiplier (2.0X) than Canon, Sony, Nikon and Pentax imagers.

This photo was taken with the Olympus E-620 camera using the Zukio 40-150mm lens. That lens is small, compact, and very well reviewed, just like the Zukio 14-42mm kit lens. The Zukio 40-150mm lens is now selling for between $120.00 to $135.00.

Sarah Joyce
OK, now this Oly one doesn't look as clear to me...loss of detail compared to the Canon of the same shot?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:29 PM   #19

Hi Sarah-

This is an excellent thread! Even though I already own a DSLR, I can still learn so many things from it.

Anyway, since I own Olympus's entry level camera E-410, I thought I should post some shots taken w/14-42mm kit lens.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
Hi Sarah-

This is an excellent thread! Even though I already own a DSLR, I can still learn so many things from it.

Anyway, since I own Olympus's entry level camera E-410, I thought I should post some shots taken w/14-42mm kit lens.

- Hiro
THUD...that was my jaw hitting the floor. Gorgeous!
Any PP on these?