Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:34 PM   #21

I'd love to see more lowlight photos...without flash.
I see the Pentax one is showing some noise--not too bad, but it is a fairly evenly lit scene.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:35 PM   #22

javacleve-

The Canon XS shot and the Olympus E-610 shots are very close in image quality quality. They were both shot from exactly the the same position. On the Canon XS I used the canon EX-430 for the flash fill. On the Olympus E-620 photo I used the Olympus Fl-36 flash for the fill in light. Both flashes have about the same power output.

Yes, I did PP both photos, as I do all my photos. if i may so bold as to say so, why don't you download Picasa from www.google.com. It is 100% free and you can begin to see what a difference PP can make in your photos.

Also, another suggestion, you no doubt have a Community College nearby. Why not check out what digital camera courses they are offering. I am teaching two different course this semester for my local Community College. Community Colleges can be a great low cost asset to increase your digital camera knowledge.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
THUD...that was my jaw hitting the floor. Gorgeous!
Any PP on these?
The first two images were cropped, but that's it. No post processing.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
javacleve-

The Canon XS shot and the Olympus E-610 shots are very close in image quality quality. They were both shot from exactly the the same position. On the Canon XS I used the canon EX-430 for the flash fill. On the Olympus E-620 photo I used the Olympus Fl-36 flash for the fill in light. Both flashes have about the same power output.

Yes, I did PP both photos, as I do all my photos. if i may so bold as to say so, why don't you download Picasa from www.google.com. It is 100% free and you can begin to see what a difference PP can make in your photos.

Also, another suggestion, you no doubt have a Community College nearby. Why not check out what digital camera courses they are offering. I am teaching two different course this semester for my local Community College. Community Colleges can be a great low cost asset to increase your digital camera knowledge.

Sarah Joyce
I believe I did download Picasa awhile ago. Up until now, though, I was just using my P&S, and it didn't seem worth learning the Picasa at that time.
I only asked about PP because it only seems fair to compare cameras without it, at first...everyone is going to do their own PP, and if you are doing different things to different cameras, then it isn't really comparing apples to apples, to me. If the ONLY way to get a good image out of a certain camera is to do a lot of PP, then I'm not too interested in that camera. I will do PP, for sure...but I would like decent images without it, too. If that makes any sense? There will be times when you just can't play with the PP all day...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
The first two images were cropped, but that's it. No post processing.

- Hiro
I love your style!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:43 PM   #26

Hi there, Hiro-

Many thanks for joining this new thread. Your photos are gorgeous! The Zukio 14-42mm kit lens is one of my favorite lenses. I hope that Santa fullfills your wish for a new Olympus E-610 in your Christmas stocking.

As you most probably already know www.dpreview.com just gave the E-620 a totally rave review. However, the Pentax KX will be a camera that gives the Olympus E-620 a run for the rave review allocades.

What we hope to do here, and I sincerely hope that everyone will begin to post their photos here in this thread, is to give Forum readers a good glimpse of what is available in the entry level DSLR market and how it might work for them.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:47 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Another 2 cameras to keep in mind

The Canon XSi, its more expensive than the aforementioned XS. But the introduction of the T1i has brought its price down to the reasonable 500$ mark. The 12mp sensor in the XSi is one of Canon's better sensor's and will resolve detail on par with its more expensive 15mp brethren. I preferred the ergonomics of this camera over the XS, personally.

Another one not mentioned yet is the Panasonic G1. The introduction of the GH1 and the subsequent GF1 have brought down the price of this little camera, as well as putting a number of them on the used market. For those wanting to upgrade from a P&S and are put off by the bulk of DSLRs would be wise to check into this kit. The EVF on it is 100% and very large (meaning its not a true slr). And the kit lens that comes with it is very good quality.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:53 PM   #28
Super Moderator

I might add that the kit lens from Canon is very good(the IS version, 18-55)

this is from my 50d, but the resolving power is not much different
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
I love your style!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi there, Hiro-

Many thanks for joining this new thread. Your photos are gorgeous! The Zukio 14-42mm kit lens is one of my favorite lenses. I hope that Santa fullfills your wish for a new Olympus E-610 in your Christmas stocking.

As you most probably already know www.dpreview.com just gave the E-620 a totally rave review. However, the Pentax KX will be a camera that gives the Olympus E-620 a run for the rave review allocades.

What we hope to do here, and I sincerely hope that everyone will begin to post their photos here in this thread, is to give Forum readers a good glimpse of what is available in the entry level DSLR market and how it might work for them.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah-

Yes, I read the review at dereview.com. I'm so excited about it. I missed the great deal a few weeks ago though. The E620 body only was like $470 at Newegg. I hesitated it because I just bought a 14-54mm Mark l. Now, it's back to $599.

- Hiro
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I might add that the kit lens from Canon is very good(the IS version, 18-55)

this is from my 50d, but the resolving power is not much different
WOW! That is one amazing shot!!!

- Hiro