Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post

But I see a couple of things here. To get good pictures from a camera out of the box, some adjustments have to be made. Each camera will have different adjustments that will appeal your individual tastes. ie; for me tweaking the a230, change the quality immensely.

To get excellent pictures, further adjustments will have to be made to the original 'good' pic.
Good point Littlejohn. Mine is set as Vivid mode w/ Noise Filter off, sharpness -2 to compensate NF being off, contrast +1, saturation +1 etc... I do this way just because of E410's default bit noisy characteristic.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:28 PM   #42
Super Moderator

i would just like to echo Sarah's point on PP. Today's DSLR output is developed with the idea that you will do some basic PP to any image you want to present electronically or print.

how much PP you do is strictly up to you. you can get by quite nicely only learning to crop, tighten up your image in levels, boosting a lil contrast and saturation, and applying a lil unsharp mask. all can be done in mere seconds. or, you can learn to do a whole lot more, its really up to you.

it is true you can mimic much of this out of your camera, by playing with your sat/sharp/cont settings. but really its not that much of a time sink to do it in post on just the images you want and tailor it to each photo.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:30 PM   #43

Hiro, thanks again for some more great input-

As all of us become more proficient with out DSLR cameras, we want the image quality to be as good as possible when we post our photo on the Forum. That is both good photography and human nature in action.

Post processing is an acquired skill. And as I mentioned to littlejohn, it is also a bit subjective as well. The whole goal of this thread is two fold:

(1) To discuss entry level DSLR cameras and above.

(2) To improve our photo skills through sharing with each other. A Forum is a discussion group where we all learn and gain. Hopefully the sharing can go on in a very sensitive and caring way, such as you have done in this brand new thread, and for which we thank you.

Actually, the Olympus Master software you got free with your Olympus DSLR camera is one of the few exceptions in the software that is included with DSLR camera. It is pretty darned good. So if you are interested in delving into RAW techniques, that might be a good place to begin.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:34 PM   #44

hards-

Thanks is excellent input. The DSLR camera manufacturers expect DSLR users to do some post processing.

We know that you have been a Canon DSLR user in the past. can we get any comments from you on Canon's situation. Has the new Canon T-1 quickly outstripped the Canon XSi technology?

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:40 PM   #45
Super Moderator

The T1i offers expanded ISO range up to 3200 (and 6400,12800). A video mode, and more control over the incamera noise reduction.

The image quality is not much different. The XSi sensor was a great sensor and both camera are about on par at ISO 800 and 1600 in controlling noise and retaining detail. If you need 3200, of course you will need to get the T1i. The resolving power of the T1i's 15.1mp sensor is not any different than the XSi's 12.2 mp sensor.

If you need ISO 3200 and/or video, get the T1i. If you do not, there is no reason to spend the extra money, IMO. The image quality difference in their shared range is just not different.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:43 PM   #46

Well, I played with the Graduation settings on my E410 this morning. Available light source was coming through the window. It was snowing outside, so that wasn't much light. But, surprisingly I had to use the CPL filter since I saw some reflections on the leaf I used. Still there though...

1). Pattern metering, ISO 400

Normal Graduation

High Key

Low Key

2). Center weighted, ISO 400

Normal Graduation

High Key

Low Key

Pattern metering normal graduation and center weighted low key graduation images turned out the way the leaf actually looked like.

- Hiro

Last edited by hiro1963; Oct 12, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:49 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

Actually, the Olympus Master software you got free with your Olympus DSLR camera is one of the few exceptions in the software that is included with DSLR camera. It is pretty darned good. So if you are interested in delving into RAW techniques, that might be a good place to begin.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah-

I'll definitely check it out as it's already installed on my computer and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion!

- Hiro
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:53 PM   #48

Hiro-

That is really interesting. There really is not a huge difference between the high key gradation, which I like the best, as opposed to the normal gradation. But that little bit of gradation, provided by the high key gradation is enough to create an image that really grabs your eye.

That is very nicely done work. A bit of added information: gradation only affects.jpg images, it really is an Olympus term. Other DSLR camera manufacturers call the very same effect, DRO, or Dynamic Resolution Optimization, it essential is post processing done inside the DSLR camera.

All in all, I find it very effective, and good looking. The finished image is improved and as a result looks great. Thanks a lot, Hiro! that is a great contribution.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:55 PM   #49

Many thanks, Mr. hards-

That is a great analysis on the new Canon T-1 DSLR camera. if we read things correctly, if high ISO is your goal, then the Canon T-1 is the way to go.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:04 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hiro-

That is really interesting. There really is not a huge difference between the high key gradation, which I like the best, as opposed to the normal gradation. But that little bit of gradation, provided by the high key gradation is enough to create an image that really grabs your eye.

That is very nicely done work. A bit of added information: gradation only affects.jpg images, it really is an Olympus term. Other DSLR camera manufacturers call the very same effect, DRO, or Dynamic Resolution Optimization, it essential is post processing done inside the DSLR camera.

All in all, I find it very effective, and good looking. The finished image is improved and as a result looks great. Thanks a lot, Hiro! that is a great contribution.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for your kind words and the info about DRO Sarah!

BTW, I used my tripod for this graduation test since I finally got one. That was so easy to do this kind of stuff using a tripod.

- Hiro