Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:08 PM   #61

Here is the ISO 1600 sample of my E410.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:09 PM   #62

You call your cat E 410??????

is that shorthand for Eforten??
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:46 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
You call your cat E 410??????

is that shorthand for Eforten??
Oops! My bad. Her name is Aiko btw.
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:15 AM   #64

Excellent thread and excellent info. Just my two cents from owning a Sony A200 and A700. If I was going the entry level route again I would by-pass the A200 and get the A300 or A350 (both of which have been disc. and prices will start to drop soon) to have the live view function available to me. The A200 is an excellent camera but their are a few times every so often i wish I had live view. As far as image quality gores the A200 is great...... never really shot with a cannon or Nikon after I tried them out in the camera story, walmart and Best Buy. The Sony felt the best in my hand of all the cameras I keep going back to it because Jim C swore and swears by his Sony A700 so I felt like if he can use a Sony and loves it then I will too.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:43 AM   #65

Dave-

There is lot of good experience in your post. However, most folks want to get in at around the $600.00 level. That is what makes the entry level cameras so popular. Those entry level cameras are also a good starting point for improving your skills. As the skills increase and experience mounts, the DSLR user, generally moves upward in the system to a more featured DSLR camera.

The entry level DSLR camera can be a great learning tool, as folks transition from point and shoot to better photo skills and added experience. So the entry level DSLR cameras really do have an important place in the DSLR system.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:12 AM   #66

Sarah, as you know I have recently bought a Pentax KM, known as the K2000 in the States.

I really like it. The kit lens seems fine...I don't care for the plastic, rather than a steel lensmount...but then I'm a bit of an old curmudgeon.

The clarity of the pix, the colour rendition is very good. The camera has shake reduction in the body...saves me money on having to pay extra for SR in the lens.

It's been a great little camera. It's an entry camera, but I use it as an extra body for my K10D and as a general carry around...it's light and seems robust.

There is a new Pentax called the KX and this one has HD video, 12 something MP's...ISO to 12,800 (somewhere around there) and the price is very good. This sounds like a tremendous camera that has if not it
all...most of it .

I would say this is an entry camera +...good for those who are new to DSLR's and fine for those who have more experience.

You can also choose from several colours...not that that is a big deal to me, but it might be to younger buyers...although if they had a camouflage colour scheme, I would be interested for my wildlife shots.

Les
Here's a link that reviews this feature rich camera...the Pentax KX:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09091703pentaxkx.asp

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:34 AM   #67

Les-

Thanks for a nice post. As you already know, I am also a Pentax K-2000 user. With the pending introduction of the Pentax KX, the deals on the K-2000 model have become significantly better.

We will be introducing the K-2000 into this thread beginning today, so you might want to follow along. The new Pentax KX has huge potential. It will surely provide a sizable challenge in the entry level DSLR market niche. Have you seen a firm introduction date yet for the KX Model?

Hoya's ownership of Pentax has brought forward some excellent new cameras like the Pentax K-7 and the soon to be introduced Pentax KX.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:32 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Les-

Thanks for a nice post.Thanks. As you already know, I am also a Pentax K-2000 user. With the pending introduction of the Pentax KX, the deals on the K-2000 model have become significantly better.

We will be introducing the K-2000 into this thread beginning today, so you might want to follow along.I will with interest. The new Pentax KX has huge potential. It will surely provide a sizable challenge in the entry level DSLR market niche.I agree with you. I think the dominant market force, Canon has very effective marketing stratagems from having the young, popular singer (don't know her name, my kids told me...but just know she's quite a singing star ) be a spokeperson to the youth market..Canon really has the youth market and this is a great corporate move for the future...how many cameras will someone my age (60) buy in the future, whild if you have a brand loyal enthusiast at 18-20 years old...that could be lot's of equipment over the years.

But I think with the KM (K2000) but even more so as you say the KX has huge potential...I just hope Pentax doesn't drop the ball in marketing. It seems to be a great ...do everything camera...comes in colours, etc...but people need to know about it ans product has to be available. After all ...you can't sell from an empty wagon..
Have you seen a firm introduction date yet for the KX Model?No, soon I hope..in another month people will be starting to shift in high gear for Xmas..Pentax needs to have plenty of product and marketing in gear by then..

Hoya's ownership of Pentax has brought forward some excellent new cameras like the Pentax K-7 and the soon to be introduced Pentax KX.I agree, but they can't rest on theirr laurels...

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Have a great day Sarah...looking forward to this thread as it continues to develop...it's a good idea...Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:27 PM   #69

Today we will take a look at some Pentax DSLR cameras-

For those that want to upgrade to a higher level DSLR camera, but still feel a budget pinch, there is an excellent possibility out there in the DSLR market for you. When Pentax introduced their new K-7 model, that forced a dramatic price decrease in their previous "flagship" DSLR camera, the K-20 model.

Initially the K-20, a completely weather sealed camera, sold for nearly $1,200.00. it offered 14.6 mp of resolution, IS built into the camera body and it received great reviews. Today, that camera is selling for $669.00 to $699.00 for the camera body.

So, there is a real upgraded DSLR camera, that is now falling into the price range of many DSLR buyers. And for those folks who are looking for an upgraded DSLR camera, and a single lens solution, the Pentax K -20 pairs perfectly with the Pentax 18-250mm lens, which has received excellent reviews. I have attached a Pentax K-20 sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:46 PM   #70

Another DSLR camera from the Pentax line is suffering the same fate as the K-20. That camera is the K-2000 model. It has received great reviews, has 10.1 mp and currently its to lens kit - the K-2000 camera body, the Pentax DAL 18-55mm lens, and the Pentax 50-200mm lens is selling at Amazon for $539.00. When you consider that the Pentax 50-200mm lens is selling separately for $200.00, that makes the K-2000 DSLR body and kit lens cost just $339.00, a rather amazing price.

Well the logical follow-on question is what is the image quality of the Pentax K-2000. Actually the image quality is excellent and very competitive, equaling that of Sony A-200 or A-230, the Nikon D-3000, and the Canon XS DSLR cameras.

I have attached a sample photo from the Pentax K-2000 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 14, 2009 at 6:49 PM.