Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:18 AM   #71

Hi Sarah, I had read somewhere that the k2000 is lacking a feature that indicates where it's focusing ?....and the remedy is to always have it set to center focus ?
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:19 PM   #72

anthony_b-

That is true, and I find focusing with the K-2000 is faster and more accurate than that found on Sony, and Olympus. The center point focusing works very well for me, even in dim lighting conditions.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:17 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
Hi Sarah, I had read somewhere that the k2000 is lacking a feature that indicates where it's focusing ?....and the remedy is to always have it set to center focus ?
I have taken pictures with slr's, medium formats, rangefinders and I do what I've always done with all of my cameras...I focus on the subject I want to take a pix of, click the shutter.

It's been working well for me for 41 years now. I do it with my newish KM (K2000) and I do it with my 25 year old Mamiya TLR and almost 60 year old Leica.

I have red lights, audible beeping on my more sophisticated K10D...but I don't use them...I just focus on the person, landscape, animal, bird, car, etc..I don't know why I would need a feature to tell me where I'm focusing...as Sherlock Holmes was wont to say....it seems elementary, my dear Watson.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I have taken pictures with slr's, medium formats, rangefinders and I do what I've always done with all of my cameras...I focus on the subject I want to take a pix of, click the shutter.

It's been working well for me for 41 years now. I do it with my newish KM (K2000) and I do it with my 25 year old Mamiya TLR and almost 60 year old Leica.

I have red lights, audible beeping on my more sophisticated K10D...but I don't use them...I just focus on the person, landscape, animal, bird, car, etc..I don't know why I would need a feature to tell me where I'm focusing...as Sherlock Holmes was wont to say....it seems elementary, my dear Watson.
I don't know about you, but I find at times I THINK I'm pointing the camera on the thing on which I want to focus, but it turns out that the sensor found something else on which to focus. The classic example being a photo of 2 people, and you end up focusing on the background in between their heads. So, to me, knowing where it is focusing can be useful
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:01 PM   #75

Lea and Javacleve-

It is my experience, that I prefer the added confidence of a positive focus lock confirmation, be it a beep, or a small flashing light in the focusing grid. I guess the easiest way to say it is that, it is reassuring to know that the photo taking process is moving ahead smoothly.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:48 PM   #76

I just switched lenses on the Pentax K-2000 during a focusing experiment based on anthony_b's post. I switched from the Pentax 50-200mm lens to the Pentax 18-250mm lens that I took off of my Pentax K-20.

I had used the Pentax 18-250mm lens on the K-20 without being overly impressed. However, when the that Pentax 18-250mm lens was switched to the K-2000 camera, just now, the sharpness on that lens really seemed to increase substantially. It was like the Pentax 18-250mm lens and the Pentax K-2000 camera were made for each other.

Here is a sample photo taken with the Pentax AF-200 external flash using that lens and camera combination.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:32 PM   #77
Super Moderator

that seems to be one of the sharper images you have posted. seems like for whatever reason, be it focusing, etc, that lens works well with that body.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:12 PM   #78

Thanks, Hards-

I certainly agree with you. That lens (the Pentax 18-250mm) on the K-20 was plain applesauce. But, wow! When I put it on the Pentax K-2000 body, the lens seems much sharper. A very nice change indeed!

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 15, 2009, 7:03 PM   #79

Sarah, that has to be the sharpest picture you have posted so far. Detail and clarity are excelent
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 7:19 PM   #80

Thanks, anthony_b-

It began, as you probably read, as just an experiment. But here is a case where the the K-2000 camera body and the Pentax 18-250mm really worked quite well. That lens on my Pentax K-20 was plain apple sauce.

On the Pentax K-2000 camera body, the Pentax 18-250mm lens is absolutely, WOW! I was really pleased.

Sarah Joyce