Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:05 PM   #81

I wonder if it's simply a case of the higher resolution of the 14mp K-20 (and, presumably, the K-7) revealing the necessary design compromise of a lens with a focal length as long as the 18-250. I suggest this because the lens also works great on my 10mp K200D. Perhaps that's the answer. Sometimes less is more. Either way, the image looks great.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:25 AM   #82

Good Morning Biro-

Yes, I think that you have hit on the answer quite precisely, and I agree with you. That being the case, then the real "acid test" will be to determine how the Pentax 18-250mm lens matches up with the new 12mp Pentax KX.

We will know that answer in the next 7 to 10 days. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:04 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I wonder if it's simply a case of the higher resolution of the 14mp K-20 (and, presumably, the K-7) revealing the necessary design compromise of a lens with a focal length as long as the 18-250. I suggest this because the lens also works great on my 10mp K200D. Perhaps that's the answer. Sometimes less is more. Either way, the image looks great.
I don't know that it would translate into down-sampled web-posted images like this though. I think there are a lot of other variables to consider - how does the 'soft' camera behave with other lenses? It may be the performance of this one camera body is just not sharp - it might have a front/back focus issue. Or the way the default parameters of the body are set up. I think when cameras started to hit 15mp there was a lot of this talk on the web about the cameras out-resolving the lenses but I've seen that talk die down. I think in most cases, softness at downsized resolutions is mostly attributable to other issues. Now, if you had 50 people all who used that lens on the two cameras in discussion and had results similar to Sarahs then you might be on to something. But that usually doesn't end up happening - at least not from the chatter I've seen. In fact I'll see posts stating the exact opposite - that the higher MP produces even better results from a consumer grade lens. But the IT part of my brain says there simply aren't enough data points in controlled testing to draw any conclusions. You need more samples of the lens and both cameras.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote