Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:45 PM   #31

javacleve-

The brand new Pentax KX has begun shipping to Europe and Asia. We should see it in the USA before the end of the month of October. The KX uses the new imager take gave the Nikon D-90 it high ISO capabilities.

It will begin selling for $649.00 which is about $300.00 less than the D-90, and it is hoped to be such as capable ISO-wise.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
TCav-

Sony, Pentax and Olympus have in body IS.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for that clarification, Sarah! More points in the Olympus corner (unfortunately, offset by the lack of focus and availability of bright lenses)
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
I actually hadn't heard that inverse rule (and it IS so complicated with digital sensors), but I always try to go by 1/250 because any less than that and I seem to get blur.
Gotta be careful - there's a difference between blur from a moving camera and blur from a moving subject. Unless you have an ailment which makes your hold on a camera unsteady, my suspicion based upon your statement is you are seeing more motion blur in your shots than camera shake. 1/250 is a good shutter speed to stop casual human motion. Here's the easy way to tell the difference when looking at your photos - are inanimate objects (chairs, sign posts, etc.) blurry too? Or is it just the people? If everything is blurry it's camera shake. If it's just people (or leaves or other things that move) then it's motion blur. IS helps camera shake but not motion blur. And if you think you're going to get shutter speeds of 1/250 indoors without sunlight from a nearby window I think you should adjust your expectations just a bit. In those situations, anti-shake is great - as long as your subjects hold still for 1/15 or 1/30 of a second.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Gotta be careful - there's a difference between blur from a moving camera and blur from a moving subject. Unless you have an ailment which makes your hold on a camera unsteady, my suspicion based upon your statement is you are seeing more motion blur in your shots than camera shake. 1/250 is a good shutter speed to stop casual human motion. Here's the easy way to tell the difference when looking at your photos - are inanimate objects (chairs, sign posts, etc.) blurry too? Or is it just the people? If everything is blurry it's camera shake. If it's just people (or leaves or other things that move) then it's motion blur. IS helps camera shake but not motion blur. And if you think you're going to get shutter speeds of 1/250 indoors without sunlight from a nearby window I think you should adjust your expectations just a bit. In those situations, anti-shake is great - as long as your subjects hold still for 1/15 or 1/30 of a second.
everything is blurry in many cases...so it's not people motion. I don't know if it's exactly an "ailment" but I do not have the steadiest hands, and even if I hold my breath when taking a picture I seem to move the camera ever so slightly when pressing the shutter. I used to have one of those extender cables that let you press the shutter off camera.

I am mostly using my P&S now, so I don't know what shutter speed I am getting.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:59 PM   #35

Quote:
javacleve-

The brand new Pentax KX has begun shipping to Europe and Asia. We should see it in the USA before the end of the month of October. The KX uses the new imager take gave the Nikon D-90 it high ISO capabilities.

It will begin selling for $649.00 which is about $300.00 less than the D-90, and it is hoped to be such as capable ISO-wise.

Sarah Joyce
Maybe I need to wait and see how it does, then...
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:05 PM   #36

JohnG-

Yes, I agree. It is the high ISO capability that allows shutter speeds up to 1/250, should take care of any camera and human movement. Where IS triumphs, at least for me, is when I have to use shutter speeds of 1/25 and lower.

The other issue is that you have to make it a habit to always use a firm 2 hand grim with arms locked. Using an LCD screen to frame a photo places your arms in a floating position that does not work very well. That is why I am not a big Live View user, except when the camera is on a tripod.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:13 PM   #37

Quote:
JohnG-

Yes, I agree. It is the high ISO capability that allows shutter speeds up to 1/250, should take care of any camera and human movement. Where IS triumphs, at least for me, is when I have to use shutter speeds of 1/25 and lower.

The other issue is that you have to make it a habit to always use a firm 2 hand grim with arms locked. Using an LCD screen to frame a photo places your arms in a floating position that does not work very well. That is why I am not a big Live View user, except when the camera is on a tripod.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
wow, you're able to hand hold at 1/25 and get a clear picture?

I'm with you on the live view, btw...it just comes in handy when you CAN'T get to the viewfinder easily (like when I hold the camera above my head to get a crowd shot or something like that)

Last edited by javacleve; Oct 15, 2009 at 2:16 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:15 PM   #38

I should clarify that my "1/250 rule" is from my old film camera days, and I don't think those cameras had IS...so, I am assuming that IS on my digicam has helped me just because I know I had the issue in the past. I suppose I don't really KNOW how much of a difference it is making (or, it has been so long that I don't remember why I began to think that it was). I just know that I have unsteady hands and usually couldn't go as slow as some others could...
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:30 PM   #39

Yes, Javacleve-

You can train and condition yourself to hold a camera very steadily. The more you do it, the better you get. However, I believe that IS really becomes valuable anytime the shutter speed falls below 1/50th of a second.

Perhaps you read my previous post incorrectly. I am very much against hand held Live View use. Live View is fine, buy only on a tripod.

Most recent point and shoot cameras tell you right in the optical viewfinder, the aperture and shutter speed to be used when you push the shutter release half way down and when the camera is in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode. Are you shooting in Auto? Point and shoot cameras generally will NOT display the aperture and shutter speed when the camera is used in the Automatic Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Sony, Pentax and Olympus have in body IS.
Yeah, but they don't put it in all their bodies, which leads to confusion.

See Leica D Vario 14-150mm + Olympus E 450 compatible? for instance.

Plus, some of the other things that javacleve has said led me to beleive that it was better just to not mention it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote