Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:49 PM   #11

I found a e 520 olyumpus for 589 with 2 lenses and one is a zoom lens is this a good deal?
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryccc View Post
I found a e 520 olyumpus for 589 with 2 lenses and one is a zoom lens is this a good deal?
Not really, and it won't do your sports/action/wildlife very well either.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:10 AM   #13

If I get a canon xsi should I just get the body and get a zoom lens?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:32 AM   #14

The Canon 18-55mm zoom lens is a good general purpose lens. You might want to get a longer lens as time goes by, and your experience with the camera grows. You can add to a dSLR as your needs and capabilities progress.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:07 AM   #15

Mary,

I am not an expert on here by far, but I do have a Canon xsi. I have had it for about 3 months now, and I really like it. I tried out several before I settled on this one. The only other lens I have right now is the Canon 55-250mm, which I use alot for daytime outdoors, birds,(at a feeder), etc. It costs around $240. I am planning to buy one of the Canon 50mm prime lenses, it is around $100 and they say it is faster and better for indoor shots, and portraits. You might want to check on Amazon for prices right now, I think the xsi has come down even since I bought mine.

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:08 AM   #16

Thanks I want to find the best deal I can. Would you get one from best buy or is it better to get one online? It seems like it would be harder to return online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave59 View Post
Mary,

I am not an expert on here by far, but I do have a Canon xsi. I have had it for about 3 months now, and I really like it. I tried out several before I settled on this one. The only other lens I have right now is the Canon 55-250mm, which I use alot for daytime outdoors, birds,(at a feeder), etc. It costs around $240. I am planning to buy one of the Canon 50mm prime lenses, it is around $100 and they say it is faster and better for indoor shots, and portraits. You might want to check on Amazon for prices right now, I think the xsi has come down even since I bought mine.

Suzie
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:21 AM   #17

Mary,
It's rare that Best Buy would be better than the prices of reputable online places. Realize though that a number of places DO have re-stocking fees now - because so many people abused the old process. They'd buy the camera try it for 2 weeks and decide they didn't want it and return it. Nothing wrong with the camera - people just took advantage of liberal return policies. If you have a defective camera then reputable online dealers will give you a new one - and you are always covered under warranty.
Just be aware that online manufacturers as well as some brick and mortar stores make their money by selling you 'kits' which often contain additional lenses or accessories with high markups. There are some few gem offers out there but you have to be careful. If you stick to the 'camera with kit lens' you can easily shop.
For example, B&H (a highly respected on-line retailer with an actual full-block camera store in NY City) has the XSi with kit lens for $626 with no sales tax and free shipping:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Si_a_k_a_.html

Best buy is selling it for $700 but you have to add on sales tax (so 7% sales tax is an extra $49. So you'r paying an extra $124 to get it at Best Buy).

Buydig.com (another company I've dealt with) is selling it for $609 (free shipping no tax):
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...u=CNDRXSIK1855

Online retailers I've dealt with are B&H (most reputable/respected), Adorama, Buydig)
B&H gets my business unless there's a huge price difference. They're a great vendor and because of my history with them they get my business over another place that may be a few $$ cheaper. Now, when a place like buydig is $100 cheaper on a lens - well then, that's different.

You should also note - if you need warranty service, that all gets sent back to the manufacturer anyway. So no benefit to buying locally for that.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:26 AM   #18

The best deals are on-line, but before you buy, check the retailer at http://www.resellerratings.com

People scouring the internet for the lowest price often fall victim to scams.

Adorama has the Canon XSi with the 18-55 IS kit lens for $627.
B&H Photo Video also has it for $627.

You'll also need an SD or SDHC card, but everything else, like extra batteries or chargers, can wait.

Often, retialers will bundle a Canon dSLR with the Canon 75-300 for a little extra money. This isn't a very good lens, and I suggest you avoid these bundles.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:15 AM   #19

I have not used the camera, but everything I've read seems to indicate the kit lens isn't the best?

BTW I second the good rating with B&H
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
... but everything I've read seems to indicate the kit lens isn't the best?
Try http://photozone.de/canon-eos/181-ca...report--review

The Canon 18-55 IS is one of the best kit lenses available.