Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:39 PM   #31

If the budget is an issue, Adorama has refurbished Canon XSi dSLRs available for from $80 to $100 less than new ones. They are likely to be as good as new, but they only have a 90 day warranty with Adorama instead of 1 year with Canon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:34 AM   #32

Why would this one http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...u=CNDRXSIK1855
be cheaper than this refurbished one? http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...CNDRXSIK1855RB
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:39 AM   #33

It's even cheaper at amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0012YA85A
Do you have to pay tax online?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:25 AM   #34

If the on-line retailer has offices within a jurisdiction that charges a sales tax, they charge the tax if the item is being shipped to an address within that jurisdiction , even if it isn't shipped from within that jurisdiction. That's why Target's and WallyWorld's websits charge sales tax. But Adorama and B&H Photo Video are in New York City, so if you have a product shipped to an address within the State of New York, they will charge sales tax. In fact Adorama's distribution center is in New Jersey, so if you have a product shipped to an address within the State of New Jersey, they will charge sales tax. But neither of them has any offices in Nebraska, so if if you have a product shipped to an address within the State of Nebraska, they will not charge Nebraska's sales tax (if there is one.)

Another thing to look out for is the shipping costs. Some places offer free shipping, so if you can afford to wait, you can save some money that way. (I recently bought something from Adorama. I live in Maryland, near Washington, DC. From NJ to me is one day by USPS or UPS. My purchase went via FedEx Ground from NJ to Delaware to West Virginia where someone finally decided to put a stamp on it and drop it in a mailbox. It took 6 business days for me to get it. I don't understand how they could possibly afford to have done all that for nothing, but they did. It's a good thing I wasn't in a hurry.)

So, while a low price for something is good, don't let that blind you to all those hidden costs that show up in the check-out.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:41 PM   #35

I haven't bought one yet but hopefully will soon. I had to buy a vacuum with my camera money so need to save a little longer. Do you think there will be any black friday sales on canon's?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:07 PM   #36

Sorry Mary-

There is no way to determine that for the entire USA.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:51 PM   #37

How would a Nikon D60 compare to the xsi?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryccc View Post
How would a Nikon D60 compare to the xsi?
Its AF performance isn't as good for sports/action/wildlife (i.e.: keeping a 6 year old boy in focus while he's running around aross the street.) In fact, it's not as good as the D3000 you asked about before.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Its AF performance isn't as good for sports/action/wildlife (i.e.: keeping a 6 year old boy in focus while he's running around aross the street.) In fact, it's not as good as the D3000 you asked about before.
In your opinion, how does the e620 compare to the XSi or the D5000 for that matter?

(Thanks..love your input)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:13 PM   #40
Super Moderator

the e620 is a very nice dslr, with a ton of great features usually only found in higher price range cameras.

however, its AF system isn't as good in low-light or covering fast action, nor is its high ISO performance quite up to the XSi.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote