Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:39 PM   #41

Yeah.

That.

What he said.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:20 PM   #42

Thank you. I really don't want a Nikon. I want an xsi but I only have about 500 now and am afraid if I don't get a camera now I'll spend it on something else. I will wait and hopefully have a couple more hundred saved in a few weeks. I aqppreciate your advice. Does the xsi have 3200 iso and if not which canon does?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Its AF performance isn't as good for sports/action/wildlife (i.e.: keeping a 6 year old boy in focus while he's running around aross the street.) In fact, it's not as good as the D3000 you asked about before.
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:27 PM   #43
Super Moderator

the XSi only goes up to 1600. but it may be all you need for what you are shooting. actually i think it would be. i think it would be a good choice.

if you think you need 3200, you would need to step up to the t1i or the 50d from canon.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the e620 is a very nice dslr, with a ton of great features usually only found in higher price range cameras.

however, its AF system isn't as good in low-light or covering fast action, nor is its high ISO performance quite up to the XSi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yeah.

That.

What he said.
Thanks guys...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessie View Post
I prefer SONY to NIKON, for the effects of the photos.
Can you elaborate? 'effects of photos???'
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:31 AM   #46

Why would I need high iso?
I am back up to $500 so if I want the t1 I need to save about 300 more. I was wondering should I get just the body of the xsi and the lens separate?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:33 AM   #47

I have a sony cybershot dsc h2 and it's been a good camera for video and pictures. Will the xsi really give me better pictures that I will tell the difference. I know some of my pictures aren't good because of the shutter speed and get blurry. That's one reason I want a slr but is that reason enough to spend so much money?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:27 AM   #48

Default Question to JohnG Oct 13 response

Your response is so close to my question, it is scary. I have grandchildren (7/8 and 13), and the two youngest are in cleerleading, with one being a flier (tossed in the air). We borrowed a digital camera from a friend, but all pics of her are blurry. Most pics will be indoors, during day, but from afar as a gym is limited where we can sit/stand. Is a megazoom (Samsung HZ25W) or a Digital SLR recommended for such pics? Also, my wife wants to take bursts so she can catch turns, etc., and even short movie clips so she does not miss anything. It is a very confusing world on the internet trying to see where to spend my money and not be happy
JOEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:32 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryccc View Post
I have a sony cybershot dsc h2 and it's been a good camera for video and pictures. Will the xsi really give me better pictures that I will tell the difference. I know some of my pictures aren't good because of the shutter speed and get blurry. That's one reason I want a slr but is that reason enough to spend so much money?
They CAN be better. But it isn't a simple question. The XSI will have much better high ISO perfromance - so you can bump up the ISO to get faster shutter speeds. BUT, your dsc-h2 has a longer focal length than the XSi kit lens. Depending on the types of shots you take, you may require an additional lens - doesn't do you any good to have fast shutter speeds if you're shooting at 55mm and need to be shooting at 200mm or 300mm.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEGA View Post
Your response is so close to my question, it is scary. I have grandchildren (7/8 and 13), and the two youngest are in cleerleading, with one being a flier (tossed in the air). We borrowed a digital camera from a friend, but all pics of her are blurry. Most pics will be indoors, during day, but from afar as a gym is limited where we can sit/stand. Is a megazoom (Samsung HZ25W) or a Digital SLR recommended for such pics? Also, my wife wants to take bursts so she can catch turns, etc., and even short movie clips so she does not miss anything. It is a very confusing world on the internet trying to see where to spend my money and not be happy
So much depends on the light levels of the gyms. In general, a simple toss doesn't require fast shutter speeds - you just have to time it right because there is a natural pause to the motion at the top of the toss - and the arms/legs/head are relatively steady. That timing is easier with a DSLR than superzoom because DSLR is quicker to focus and has a shorter shutter lag than a superzoom. The real problem comes in with just abot any other type of movement you want to capture with cheer indoors. The shutter speed you need is dependent on the type of movement - if you're photographing rolls in the air, or tumbling passes that can be extremely demanding - you need shutter speeds around 1/500 to start getting those to look good. Some basic cheer maneuvers though can be gotten at around 1/250-1/300.

To get the 1/500 - you're going to need a lens that is f2.8 or wider aperture and ISOs of 3200-6400. That means DSLR - superzooms will not cut it. The problem comes in that lenses that are f2.8 or better are either short non-zooming lenses (like an 85mm 1.8 - about $500) which are good for very limited distances (85mm is good for about 25 feet) or they're heavy/expensive (sigma 70-200 2.8 for $830). That type of lens is good for about 75-80 feet. This doesn't address movies at all though. Movie capability is relatively new to DSLRs - there are only a handful of DSLR bodies that have it - and focusing in those cameras during movies isn't up to what digicams can do yet - i.e. it's tougher for DSLRs to focus in movie mode. It's getting better, but it's still difficult - especially with the wide apertures (f2.8,1.8) we're talking about here.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote