Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:52 PM   #11
Super Moderator

been looking a lil more at the g11/s90. and that sensor appears to be pretty darn amazing, especially in its noise handling. i am not easily impressed by small sensor cameras, but some of the early shots i have seen from these 2 cameras are nothing short of great.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:14 PM   #12

Well, I decided to give it a shot and picked up an S90. I have a couple of weeks to play with it and make sure its the right camera for me. Hopefully it will prove to live up to all of the early praise.

Sarah, I must say the 70EXR looks tempting at its price point and given its 10X zoom. I'm keeping that and the 200EXR in the back of my mind as possibilities if for some reason I don't connect with the S90, but from what I've seen, I think I'll be very happy.

Thanks for the input.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:41 PM   #13

jazzer-

Congratulations on your new Canon S-90! i am sure you will enjoy the camera. Please post some photos when you have a chance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:11 PM   #14
Super Moderator

congratulations. looks to be quite an amazing sensor, with a great fast lens. and plenty of controls to work with as well. be interested to here how it goes. have fun!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:28 PM   #15

I don't see any mention of the shutter lag on dpreview...I would be interested to hear how it is once you've tried it out
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 4:03 PM   #16

Thanks all. Unfortunately, as excited as I am to try it, I likely won't get the chance until sometime this weekend (and then its supposed to rain -- I'll have to test the indoor low light capability ).

I'll try to give some feedback and post pictures soon.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:06 PM   #17

OK, so it's been pretty nasty weather-wise, but I was able to try a few preliminary pictures (nothing too wonderful). These were all taken in Auto mode. The first two the camera took at ISO 1600. The last was obviously taken outside on a very grey day. No flash was used. Each was hand held.

It's too early for me to really form any opinions, but it does seem to do a good job in low light. It's been some time since I purchased a camera and I'm finding it somewhat difficult to evaluate it. The truth is, I've seen some excellent pictures taken with all kinds and prices of cameras. I do know my Kodak could never have come close to pulling off the indoor shot (in fact it only goes up to 400 ISO for anything above 1.1 megapixels)

Here is the first shot of some books.
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:08 PM   #18

Shot 2 -- a colorful wall hanging.
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:10 PM   #19

An outdoor shot taken from a parking lot.
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:35 PM   #20

Jazzer-

I would say you have a winner. With the few samples you have posted, everything looks very good. Congratulations!

Have a great weekend! Let's hope for better weather and sunny skies so we can see more Canon S-90 photo samples.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote