Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2009, 1:29 PM   #21

My experience with the S90 has been mixed. The barrel distortion is more severe than my SD 780IS, which I find surprising, considering Canon touts this as a high end point and shoot for photographers. It's focus is accurate and relatively quick. Shutter button seems to be in the wrong place compared to other models. Canon missed the opportunity to give us a high quality pocket camera. Scene Modes, and video capability I can live without, I was looking to Canon to produce a camera built with one objective, high quality still images, the S90 is not that camera. I read a review that said the S90 was Leica-like, maybe, but in appearance only. I'm thinking this camera will go back to the vendor, I'm not impressed.
bdickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:37 PM   #22

Default People with F2.0 and Zoom issues

So what if the F stop degrades a lot when you start zooming. You have to remember that you can crop and zoom that "digital" way and still have a superb photo. Who is planning on using this camera to take low light pictures and make posters out of them? Not many people. And those that raise their hands should use their SLRs for those situations.
I just got an S90 and the complaint I have, yes, singular, is that you can only focus middle of the frame or on faces in auto mode. That sucks. The only workaround I have found so far is to point the camera at what you want to focus on, then switch to MF using the handy dandy multi purpose ring.
Mr. Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:42 PM   #23

I am sure that some people will have their niggles-

That was expected when the Canon S-90 came onto the marketplace in October 2009. However, a whole lot of folks are delight to see and S-series camera once again and are having a lot of fun with their Canon S-90's. That is nice to see and hear about.

The so called perfect camera has not yet been produced.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:19 AM   #24

Appreciate if an S90 owner can help me clarity the following doubts as i have no way of getting hold of an unit to test, and am considering this camera for purchase.
  • Is the autofocus fast enough to lock and take pictures a say an infant on the move indoors with the flash on when the lighting conditions are not great?
  • Can i get GOOD 5x7 (or 4x6) print size indoor photos without the flash of people indoors under low light conditions
  • Does the optical zoom work in video mode
  • Can i use the white balance settings, etc on video mode
  • Does auto focus work on video mode?
  • How durable is the build quality? Does it feel like it will last regular use and in par with cameras such as the ZS3?
  • Is the flash powerful enough for group photos indoors and how far (in feet or meters) does it effectively cover?
  • Saw some forum comments on the net where the flash unit has failed (stopped popping up mechanically) and they feel its not rugged enough. What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance ..
rayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:30 AM   #25

Hi there, rayaz-

Welcome to the Forurn. We're glad you dropped by.

I own the Canon S-90 and the G-11 and you have owned my two cameras for several weeks now. Both are amazing cameras. The Canon S-90 even more so, due to it's size.

The auto focus on the S-90 is very rapid and I do not believe you would have any trouble with an infant on the move. Of course, as the light level in the photo environment declines the auto focus will slow down a bit. I have shot a lot of photos of the grandchildren with flash and had no problems at all.

In terms of low light shooting, personally, I have found a "sweet spot" that runs from ISO 640 to ISO 800 where image quality is very good, the noise is restrained to a point where no noiseware is required, and you could easily get a very acceptable 5 X 7 print from the image without a problem. Of course there are numerically high ISO settings available to the user, however, on any ISO setting above ISO 800 I use noiseware to clean up the image. Optical zoom does work during video and WB can be used on video, as well.

I own a Panasonic ZS1 and I have found the build quality, as well as the fit and finish on the S-90 to equal and to exceed that of the ZS1. In use, I have found flash range, using Auto ISO, to extend out to about 15 feet. Beyond that I have used my DigiSlave-3000 and been able to use bounce flash and to expand the flash range out to about 28 feet. It very effectively covers, when the S-90 is at it 28mm position on the zoom lens.

I have had no problems at all with th S-90's built-in flash unit. It has worked as designed and has sufficient power to push your fingers out of the way, least you be gripping the area where the built-in flash unit is located. I read all forums, and the only problems have occurred, based on my reading, has been when a user decided to push down the built-in flash manually. In other words, the user manually forced the retraction, damaging the extension mechanism.

All in all I have very much enjoyed the opportunity to put my DSLR cameras aside, when the occasion required shooting with a small kit. The image quality from the S-90 has been top notch for me, and the exposure has been very exact.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 20, 2009 at 9:37 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:19 PM   #26

Thanks Sarah for providing me with such a detailed response which closes out a lot of doubts i had

Though i noticed on a forum today, the S90 seems to have limitations on taking great macro shots, something which i do a lot as I like to take close ups of flowers, insects when outdoor. The sony H20 i have now does this superbly, again if you can clear this issue out it would be great.
rayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:24 PM   #27

Well put Sarah-

Either Canon or Panasonic, I think those high end P & S cameras perform very well overall and their build quality are very good. So, it's hard to pick one sometimes.

When I encounter such a problem, I usually pay attention to the color reproduction. Digital cameras have their own way of reproducing color, some giving you saturated color while others are more muted.

So, I think when you choose your camera, make sure your perception of color matches that of your camera's designers.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:29 PM   #28
Super Moderator

i think the problem with s90 and macro work is that i believe its macro mode and smallest focus distances are only available on the wide-angle range of the lens.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:14 PM   #29

Hards and Rayaz-

You can zoom a little to hget away from that wide angle position. But the S-90 does well with a macro or close-up. A photo sample is attached.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I own a Panasonic ZS1 and I have found the build quality, as well as the fit and finish on the S-90 to equal and to exceed that of the ZS1. In use, I have found flash range, using Auto ISO, to extend out to about 15 feet. Beyond that I have used my DigiSlave-3000 and been able to use bounce flash and to expand the flash range out to about 28 feet. It very effectively covers, when the S-90 is at it 28mm position on the zoom lens.
Hi Sarah,

I've been following this thread as well as your s90 review thread, thanks a lot for all the information. I'm currently undecided between the ZS1 and the S90, so since you own both I was wondering how you would compare these two cameras, esp. concerning the image quality.

I actually quite like the S90 (don't care for zoom, don't care for video), but am bit scared about its handling - the camera looks rather small and has no grip (although I've seen a website selling custom-made ones). How do they compare in this regard?

Also, here in Switzerland, the price difference between a ZS1 and a S90 is a heavy 200$, so that's another concern for a student, as well.

I would be really grateful if you could share some of your experiences with these two cameras.

Kind regards,
hp
hphilfiker is offline   Reply With Quote