Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Waterproof 28mm point and shoot??

I'm looking for a waterproof point and shoot camera with 28mm wide angle capacity. I do alot of outdoor activity, including wilderness canoeing and hiking. I'm looking for a reasonably durable, very portable camera that wouldn't be destroyed if I tipped over my canoe and wound up in the water with it. I also cross country ski in the winter in the northeast, so it'd be great to have a camera that does well in the cold too. I'm not looking for professional level features.

I'm looking at the Pentax Optio W80, Panasonic Lumix TS1 and the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000. I'm leaning toward the Pentax because it uses SD cards (which I already have) and the batteries can be recharged external to the camera and I'm less familiar generally with Panasonic as a camera manufacturer.

Can folks let me know if there's any reason to prefer one over the other aside from what I've already noted or any other models I should also be considering in the same general price range or less ($250-300)? Anyone know of any camera with these features that has a traditional viewfinder along with the LCD or whether either one's LCD is likely to be easier to use in bright sunlight?

thanks,
Gerry

Last edited by gmagnes; Oct 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM.
gmagnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:04 PM   #2

Gerry-

After some research, it seems that Pentax dominates the waterproof niche. Both the Pentax W-60 and W-80 offer a 28mm wide angle and 5X optical zoom. When you think about, it is fairly easy to understand why not one of the waterproof cameras have an optical view finder. Waterproofing the viewfinder would be nearly impossible.

I was able to find a very short review on the W-60. There will be two attachments, one attached to this post and the next attachment attached to the following post.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:06 PM   #3

gerry-

Here are some short reviews.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:22 PM   #4

gerry-

Also check out the Pentax Point & Shoot Folder. I found more W-80 info there as well.

Sarah Joyce