Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:18 PM   #21
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Nope.
ouch. thats too bad.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:24 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

That's why, if you want to shoot indoor sports, you need a dSLR from either Canon or Nikon. Nothing else is up to the task.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:25 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I remind you that the purpose of all this is to get the shutter speeds fast enough to prevent motion blur, and if you can do that, you don't really need image stabilization.
yes, but it won't be the only use of the camera, so IS will still come into play...
also, the OP was looking for a P&S so I am thinking of her interests (when it comes to the Lumix suggestion)
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:26 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Default

Now, the store manager showed me an Olympus long tele (I believe 400mm equivalent) that he said was very good and lower priced compared to the Nikon
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:28 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
yes, but it won't be the only use of the camera, so IS will still come into play...
So get a stabilized lens for when it does.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:32 PM   #26
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

knowing the prices of pentax/sony primes. and knowing you did not like the d90.

i think its time for you to beg your hubby for the bonus check

and pick up the 50d with kit lens (stabilizer for general stuff) and the 85 1.8 and a 430 flash. you can't really go wrong with that combo.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:45 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
hiro1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post

and pick up the 50d with kit lens (stabilizer for general stuff) and the 85 1.8 and a 430 flash. you can't really go wrong with that combo.
That would be ideal indeed. And all the other moms go like And then you go like

Sorry about that...

BTW, the Oly tele lens you saw sounds like the 50-200mm SWD (eq. 100-400mm).

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:00 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
That would be ideal indeed. And all the other moms go like And then you go like

Sorry about that...

BTW, the Oly tele lens you saw sounds like the 50-200mm SWD (eq. 100-400mm).

- Hiro
tee hee
and, I think you are correct about the lens. It was sweeeeet!
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:03 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
knowing the prices of pentax/sony primes. and knowing you did not like the d90.

i think its time for you to beg your hubby for the bonus check

and pick up the 50d with kit lens (stabilizer for general stuff) and the 85 1.8 and a 430 flash. you can't really go wrong with that combo.

javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:04 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Default

Other than the price, my only serious concern with the 50D was just the size (the ergonomics were good, but will I cart it around??)
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.