Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Other than the price, my only serious concern with the 50D was just the size (the ergonomics were good, but will I cart it around??)
The alternatives are the XSi and the T1i. Have you tried them on for size?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:00 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The alternatives are the XSi and the T1i. Have you tried them on for size?
Yes, the weight is good with the Canons, but the size is still a concern...I know I'm being difficult I'm just trying to be realistic about how I use a camera. If we were ONLY talking gymnastics, then it wouldn't be such a concern (although if it has to "live" in the closet instead of somewhere visible, I may forget it at times). I am re-evaluating my living space to see if there is somewhere I could keep one of the behemoths btw just for kicks on the xsi /T1i thread I am going to try and post some of my gymnastics pics because I am on the right computer today (warning, they are lousy, just showing a reference point)
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Yes, the weight is good with the Canons, but the size is still a concern...
Yes, the 50D is a half inch larger in each dimension, and it weighs over 50% more than the T1i and XSi, but once you add the lenses the difference isn't that much. When you add the Canon 100/2.0 to each, the 50D is only 25% heavier than the XSI.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:51 AM   #34

Gina, if you check this thread out, there's some information on the requirements for gymnastics photos, and some lousy photos taken with my point & shoot (Nikon L14)...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...on-xsi-23.html
The link takes you to the lousy photos If you start at page 1 you'll get the info about taking sports photos....
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:49 PM   #35

Well, javacleve-

We have had a lot of good discussion, especially today, and, as I see it, the camera body choices are being driven by the available lenses. Canon seems to be in the lead, with the XSi, the T-1, and the 50D emerging as good camera body choices.

Lens selection is much more subjective, and depends on the camera user's position when taking photos, and in your gym, as well as the kind.type of photos desired. Cetainly, the Canon 85mm F 1.8 is a contender, as is a longer zoom with at least F 2.8 available on it.

When you went to the camera shop did you handle the XSi? I recall you mentioning handling the 50D. I know size and weight are important to you.

Personally, I would be very hard pressed to see how any point and shoot cameras could be recording really good image quality images based on the lighting that is available in your gym.

Have a good weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:00 PM   #36
Super Moderator

the t1i/xsi are not much bigger than the oly 620, especially with the kit lens.

t1i with kit lens (good for birthday parties/events, image stabilizer), 85 1.8 or 100 2.0 and a good flash.

is my suggestion.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:14 PM   #37

Hi there, Hards-

I think that is an excellent suggestion. That is the way I see the conclusion of this thread going.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:15 PM   #38

Considering javacleve's limited access, I'd say the longer the better, and the 100/2.0 is only about $10 more expensive than the 85/1.8. The 135/2.0 might be even better, but it's a lot more expensive. She might be able to get away with a 70-200/2.8, but she'd have to double the ISO in order to keep the shutter speed fast while compensating for the loss of an f-stop in aperture. But that will mean more noise.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 5:01 PM   #39
Super Moderator

just to give you some prices from a well respected dealer online to compare with your local shop.

from bhphotovideo.com

Canon T1i with 18-55 IS - $749.00
Canon 100 f2.0 - $449.00
Canon 430 EX II - $280.00
---
Shipping - Free
---
Total - $1478.00
---

that is a wonderful start. the 18-55 IS is a rather sharp kit lens, I use mine all the time on my 50D despite owning many more expensive lenses and it hasn't let me down. the 100 f2.0 is an amazingly sharp lens. and the 430 flash is a great value.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 5:25 PM   #40

Thanks, Hards-

That is good information. I use the Canon EX-430 flash with my Canon XS and XSi cameras. The Canon 18-55mmIS is a new kit lens and is is very sharp and usable. The price on the Canon 100mm F 2.0 lens surprised me. I thought it would be more expensive than that.

Talking about the Canon 100mm made me go search for my Olympus/Ziukio 50mm, F 2.0, prime lens. Because Olympus DSLR cameras have a 2.0X multiplier, that Olympus 50mm lens was, in 35mm terms, a 100mm lens. I found the Olympus 50mm lens, and put it on my E-620 which javacleve seems to like a lot. We have a lot of ambient light in our living room so with just ISO 200 by using aperture preference I got the camera to use the lens wide open at F 2.0, which produced a shutter speed of 1/125th of a second. I am not sure if gymnastics needs faster shutter speed, but with stage photography that is a workable shutter speed. But anyway this gives us an idea of what a fast Olympus prime does on the E-620 camera.

Based on the photos that javacleve provided of the shooting areas in gymnasium, the 100mm focal length felt good and quite useful at what I judged to be a similar shooting distance.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 17, 2009 at 5:54 PM.