Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:36 PM   #61

I got your message - check your email - thanks!
ginaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:38 PM   #62

Anyone have any experience with Sony Cybershot? looks like a faster p&S with a good zoom. May be what I'm looking for??
ginaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:51 PM   #63

gina-

Both the Sony H-50 and the newer HX-1 camera are limited by their most usable ISO setting. For the H-50 it is ISO 800, and for the HX-1 it is 400. The Sony WX-1 might do a bit better, but we have not seen any professional reviews of the WX-1 yet.

So we really do not know the whole story on Sony yet. I have attached a photo sample from the Sony H-50 camera taken at ISO 800.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:59 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginaflav View Post
Anyone have any experience with Sony Cybershot? looks like a faster p&S with a good zoom. May be what I'm looking for??
You want to shoot gymnastics in a dimly lit gymnasium. That means fast shutter speeds and no flash. You can only do that with large aperture lenses and high ISO settings. You can't do that with a P&S. ANY P&S.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:56 PM   #65

Gina, I was at the gym last night again, and the parents were there with the camera, so I got to play with it a little. First off, the mom did mention frustration with the lag this time, so it may not be what you are looking for from that perspective. I did verify they were using it on Sports setting, which may not be the best setting for gymnastics (since it's indoors)--on my camera that didn't give me the best results. It defaults to 1/500 shutter speed, which is good for stopping motion but not as good for letting in light. She also said that when she went to send me the sample pictures, she realized the photos weren't all that great, after all...She ALSO said their camera does have the focus assist lamp, too (but they thought it could be turned off--however, you would then have more trouble focusing in the dim light). They showed me photos from their vacation at Mammoth Cave, which were very dark. They used flash, which in my personal experience at Mammoth Cave, does not work because the distance is too great. So I don't know how they would have turned out without flash, but they were very very dark. I personally used my L14 at Mammoth Cave and got some decent shots, though blurry, because I knew to turn the flash off. So that is mostly just lack of experience with the camera. The pictures that weren't too dark did look sharp, with great colors. TCav, I did not see a way to adjust the ISO on this camera (other than the scene modes, in which it automatically changed itself). TCav is correct if you are looking for great photos of gymnastics--so again, it comes down to what quality you are looking for.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:57 PM   #66

One more thing, another mom was there who had a Canon Rebel (probably xsi) and she said that the photos do come out dark, but she fixes them in Photoshop and then is perfectly happy with them...I didn't think to ask her to send me a sample, though, darn it!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:07 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginaflav View Post
I got your message - check your email - thanks!
I didn't get a message from you...if you PM your email addy I'll send the pics to you
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:08 PM   #68

Yes, if you want to take photos in a cave, you need large apertures, high ISOs, and/or long shutter speeds (along with image stabilization). And I'm surprised that the cave management let you use a flash. Most of the caves I've been to ask you not to.

And if you just lighten a dark image, you're reducing the dynamic range. Your colors, especially the skin tones, will start to look funny. You'll get combing in your histogram and stepping in your color gradations.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:20 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yes, if you want to take photos in a cave, you need large apertures, high ISOs, and/or long shutter speeds (along with image stabilization). And I'm surprised that the cave management let you use a flash. Most of the caves I've been to ask you not to.

And if you just lighten a dark image, you're reducing the dynamic range. Your colors, especially the skin tones, will start to look funny. You'll get combing in your histogram and stepping in your color gradations.
I didn't use a flash, but their camera showed the flash was on when they took some photos...but some of my photos were USABLE (not great by any means) at least.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:20 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
but for us amateurs, they could still be acceptable, and within reach of our budgets and skills!