Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2009, 5:50 PM   #11

OK, Justin-

Here is the same photo taken with the Canon XS (Canon's entry level DSLR) using the Sigma 17-70mm lens. You will notice that threre is indeed quite a measurable difference.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
OK, Justin-

Here is the same photo taken with the Canon XS (Canon's entry level DSLR) using the Sigma 17-70mm lens. You will notice that threre is indeed quite a measurable difference.

Sarah Joyce
The Canon XS pic looks alot clearer

Question for you Sarah.

I notice you got the Canon XS DSLR camera and was curious as why you bought the XS versus the Canon XSI.
Fz28-Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:18 PM   #13

FZ-28-

I actually own both the Canon XS and the Canon XSi cameras. I just purchased the XSI this week and I am waiting for delivery between 10/19 to 10/21. I had not used a Canon DSLR since my 20D, some 4 to 5 years ago, so I went into the water cautiously.

The Canon XS is is a good camera, and after looking around carefully, I think the XSi model will be even better.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:22 PM   #14

Quote:
FZ-28-

I actually own both the Canon XS and the Canon XSi cameras. I just purchased the XSI this week and I am waiting for delivery between 10/19 to 10/21. I had not used a Canon DSLR since my 20D, some 4 to 5 years ago, so I went into the water cautiously.

The Canon XS is is a good camera, and after looking around carefully, I think the XSi model will be even better.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Be sure to post up your thoughts between the two cameras when you get the XSI.

I currently have the Panasonic fz28 Superzoom camera and am looking to purchase my FIRST DSLR camera and the two I am considering are the XS and the XSI
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:54 PM   #15

FZ-28-

You might enjoy looking at another thread on the Forum which I began as well, titled, "Exploring Entry Level DSLR Cameras and Above." We look at a lot of Entry Level DSLR cameras with photo samples. In fact we wil weigh into the Canon XSi next week when I have the new camera in hand.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:58 PM   #16

Quote:
FZ-28-

You might enjoy looking at another thread on the Forum which I began as well, titled, "Exploring Entry Level DSLR Cameras and Above." We look at a lot of Entry Level DSLR cameras with photo samples. In fact we wil weigh into the Canon XSi next week when I have the new camera in hand.

Sarah Joyce
Already seen that thread and will be watching for the Canon XSI soon as you get it delivered
Old Oct 18, 2009, 1:48 AM   #17

Wow, Sarah, thank you so much! Those were informative posts coupled with pictures for comparison. Let me digest them and get back if I have more questions/made my choice.

I do agree that the DSLR shot of the teddy bear is significantly better (and obvious) as compared to the rest - but I am not looking at that DSLR, as I am not financially able to afford one and most importantly, won't have the skills, experience nor knowledge to really appreciate and use one to its fullest. This may change in the future, but at the moment, I need to set my level of expectation right first.

Are there any other models for my needs that I should be taking into consideration besides the 4 mentioned (including Kodak Easyshare Z950) ?

OK, I'm off now to digest and read up more. Thank you all

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:56 AM   #18

Quote:
... should include aperture and shutter priority
This degree of control used to be common. But with today's compacts it has become very rare.

Quote:
... it'll end up in a waist pouch or slung across my shoulder
A waist pouch was exactly what I used with my "old" Canon S3 IS. This, plus the aperture priority, speak "SLR-like ultrazoom" to me rather than a compact superzoom. One popular example is the Panasonic FZ28, there are others, you have to shop around to find these for under $300. Here is a link to another thread on this type camera -

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/159045-nikon-p90-olympus-sp-590-panasonic-fz28-38-a.html

Kelly Cook
warning: this post is unfocused and untargeted
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:56 AM   #19

Quote:
OK, Justin-

Here is our first photo sample, Justin with the Z-1012 camera. Just like our other photo samples, we will lead off with the flash photo of Bradley. The Z-1012 flash photo sample looks pretty good and there is very little shadowing. All in all this is probably the best flash photo that we have seen among the three cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Just a quick one Sarah. I was just wondering, why was there very little shadowing in the Kodak shot as compared to the Fuji and Sony? Is it due to the angle of the shot?

It seems that I'm contemplating between the Fuji and the Kodak Z1012 at the moment. It seems that the Sony has not much going for it, when it is being compared to these 2 other models.

OK, more reading and digesting. I'm looking at other forums and reading more reviews, but at the moment, it seems that it is down to these 2.

Thank you and much appreciated.

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 1:56 PM   #20

Justin-

You are coming right along. In the case of the Kodak Z-1012 it was the angle the shot was taken from that decreased the shadow effect.

I have another Kodak Z-1012 photo that I wanted to show you. The photo attached was taken with the Z-1012 from a distance of nearly 100 feet. It was also a no flash/existing light only photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images