Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:25 AM   #21

Sarah i will be interested in hearing your XSi thoughts.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:46 PM   #22

I realised that the Fuji F70EXR does not have shutter priority (correct me if I am wrong). As I intend to shoot in both full auto and learn manual controls, I have to cut it out of my list, unfortunately. Similarly, the Sony DSC-H20 also suffers similar fate, as it does not have that wide of a lens and its photo quality were lower than the Fuji and Kodak Z1012.

I have also heard good things about the Panasonic FZ-28 and the new FZ-35, so I am now considering it, however its size as compared to the Kodak Z1012 may put me off it.

As I live in Malaysia, unfortunately, I cannot source for a Kodak Z1012 (no longer on shelf, and I have not seen a Kodak outlet in 2 states). I may have to resort to purchasing it in the US and getting it shipped to Malaysia, which costs as much as a brand new FZ-35 here in local currency (the FZ-35 ends up being more expensive by around USD$90) Saw a few Z1012's on Amazon.com and Steve's "Compare Prices" link above shows a couple too, but they are going about USD$ 260-ish brand new.

So yea, I have to think this through. Any kind words of advice from the forum? It's getting late ... almost 1:50 AM. My eyes are red from reading the forums.

Justin.

Last edited by JustinY; Oct 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 3:04 PM   #23

Justin-

You have done well with your research. The Panasonic FZ-35, although more expensive, is a good camera. Keep in mind it is not a pocket camera.

Have a good day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:26 PM   #24

Hi Sarah,

Yup, I saw one of your old comparison pictures of the Z1012 and FZ28 side by side and yes, the FZ28 is slightly marginally bigger. Not sure if the Panasonic will fit nicely in a slim pouch, but I reckon the Z1012 could.

I had the opportunity of playing around with the FZ35 earlier. It was all right, although I personally think I would prefer something smaller - I guess perhaps a Z1012 Personally, I also didn't like how the viewfinder of the FZ35 protrudes out at the back. Almost poked my eye out cause I didn't noticed it til my cheeks were flushed against the LCD.

Noticed that there are refurbished Z712s and Z1012s on e-bay from top rated sellers at quite a bargain price of under $200. I guess that's where you and Alan T. were coming from, that both of them are one of the better performing under $200 cameras. I initially thought that the under $200 category was referring to brand new Z1012s, and not refurbished units - or am I wrong?

Is there any cause for concern by buying a refurbished unit? I noticed that it is being refurbished by Kodak itself, with a 1 year warranty. If not, this might be a very good purchase, as it is half the price of the FZ35 I saw earlier! Guess I am almost sold on it, just pending a couple of reconfirmations and reading here and there

Thank you.

Justin.

Last edited by JustinY; Oct 20, 2009 at 1:29 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:32 PM   #25
Super Moderator

I am not sure what it is exactly with Kodak.

But with Canon, whom I have recently made use of a buy-back / refurbished upgrade program, much (but not all of course) of their "refurbished" stock is actually unsold merchandise from dealer shelves, and hasn't actually been sold or used. the 50d that i received through their buyback/upgrade program had zero shutter actuations.

keep in mind this was through the canon company itself.

so if kodak's refurbished system works similarly, there is a good chance your refurbished unit would actually be a new unit. sorry that my reply was not more specific to kodak, but hope it is of some help anyways.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:04 PM   #26

Justin-

In May 2009 the retail price of the Kodak Z-1012 did indeed drop to $199.99, as Kodak discontinued production of the Z-1012 camera and then worked to get rid of the excess inventory on dealer's shelves.

A Kodak refurbished camera has the benefit of a full one year guarantee just like a brand new Kodak camera. So, I would have no qualms or fears about purchasing a refurbished Z-1012 camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
.. A waist pouch was exactly what I used with my "old" Canon S3 IS. This, plus the aperture priority, speak "SLR-like ultrazoom" to me rather than a compact superzoom. One popular example is the Panasonic FZ28, there are others, you have to shop around to find these for under $300. Here is a link to another thread on this type camera
Hi Kelly, yup, I have looked at the FZ28/FZ35, thank you. I am seriously considering that and the Z1012 at the moment. And size is also a priority to an extent, as it'll be in a waist pouch or a lady's shoulder bag (oh pity her shoulders) so it goes unnoticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
.. so if kodak's refurbished system works similarly, there is a good chance your refurbished unit would actually be a new unit. sorry that my reply was not more specific to kodak, but hope it is of some help anyways.
No worries Hards, the Z1012 is 2/3 the price of a FZ35 here in Malaysia. Of course, the Z1012 is refurbished from Kodak with 1 year warranty and I'll be lucky to find a brand new Z1012 (which will cost about USD 250 from my recent searches) so it is a matter of me placing my trust in these refurbished products.

And yes, you have helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
A Kodak refurbished camera has the benefit of a full one year guarantee just like a brand new Kodak camera. So, I would have no qualms or fears about purchasing a refurbished Z-1012 camera. Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah, thank you. My only qualm is taking a chance on something that may cause complications down the line.

Anyhow, I am still deciding between the Z1012 and FZ35 at the moment. I thank you all for helping.

As it is near Christmas, I may delay my purchase decision to see if there are any sales. In the mean time, more reading and research to see if there are any other cameras that can trump the Kodak and Panasonic - based on my criteria.

I shall update you all when I make my final decision and purchase

Justin.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:48 AM   #28

Congratulations, Justin-

You are going about your camera search in a very logical and organized way. I commend you for that.

Because physical camera size is very important to you, here is a suggestion. Find a belt pouch that would be an ideal size, material, etc for your use. Then carry it with you when you go camera shopping. That would take some of the unknown out of the process.

I hope that you are enjoying a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:18 PM   #29

Hi, JustinY.
You can refer Finepix J20fd Fujifilm.

http://fujifilm.co.uk/consumer/digit...sy/finepix-j20
good luck.
Thanks a lot and happy day to all.
sofwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:36 PM   #30

sofwind-

Welcome to the Forum.

I do not own nor have I used the Fuji J-20 camera. However, I do follow all the professional reviews on cameras. The general consensus is that the J-20 is typical of the J-series of cameras, it is an economy model that has a minimum of features, including no image stabilization. At 8mp, it is somewhat behind the typical 10mp cameras that dominate this particular pocket camera market segement.

I am glad to hear that the J-20 has been a very successful camera for you. Your English is very good as well as acceptable.

Sarah Joyce