Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:33 PM   #21

As you can easily see, Snowave-

I am not the only person questioning the choice of the Canon XT (8mp) body with the very small LCD screen, There are other DSLR cameras in the market today, that may indeed be a much a better choice in terms of image quality.

The Pentax K-2000 is available as a two lens kit (with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm medium telephoto lens) at an attractive price, $529.00. Here is an attached photo sample of what the Pentax K-2000 DSLR camera can really do.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
As you can easily see, Snowave-

I am not the only person questioning the choice of the Canon XT (8mp) body with the very small LCD screen, There are other DSLR cameras in the market today, that may indeed be a much a better choice in terms of image quality.

The Pentax K-2000 is available as a two lens kit (with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm medium telephoto lens) at an attractive price, $529.00. Here is an attached photo sample of what the Pentax K-2000 DSLR camera can really do.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the suggestion, so you recommend going with the two lense kit instead of buying the Pentax K-2000 body and getting the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 wide angle lenses
snowwave83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If landscapes are important to you, the Olympus 14-42mm kit lens isn't very wide. The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 lens is quite good, and has a wider angle of view when mounted on a Nikon, Pentax or Sony, than the Olympus 14-42mm kit lens, by virtue of their larger image sensors.

Since the less expensive Nikon and Sony dSLRs aren't availabel without a kit lens, it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a camera with a lens and then buy another lens. Within your budget, I'd look at the lower end dSLRs from Pentax, to which I'd add the Sigma 17-70.

That lens costs $370, To keep the cost down, I'd go with the 10MP Pentax K2000 body with sensor shift image stabilization.
Does the K2000 body come standard with the shake reduction? I really appreciate the suggestion. It appears that two of the most knowledge posters on this site are recommending the k2000 so that must be a good sign

In my search it appears that only the K2000D comes with the shake reduction and at a cost of $518

Last edited by snowwave83; Oct 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:37 PM   #24

Also, is there any particular time that I should wait to see if prices drop a bit. I know most companies release new models in late spring and early winter.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:16 PM   #25

snowave-

There are several things happening at the very same time. (1) The Pentax KX is just beginning this week (19 Oct through 26 Oct) to be released for sale to the general public. (2) The Pentax KX camera will use the very new Sony manufactured 12 mp imager providing substantially increased high ISO capabilities. It will replace the Pentax K-2000 10.2 mp camera that has been on the market for about 15 months.

Naturally, as you might surmise, the ongoing release of the new Pentax KX model will continue to depress the K-2000 model's selling price. There is no way at all of knowing how far the Pentax K-2000 DSLR camera price will be depressed.

Currently the K-2000 DSLR camera two lens kit (the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm medium range telephoto lens) is a very attractive buy at $529.00 with free shipping. Will the selling price continue to decrease, it really is impossible, at his time, to tell precisely. Everything that occurs with the selling price of the Pentax K-200 two lens kit will be market driven which is impossible to predict.

The new model, replacing the K-2000 model, is the Pentax KX model which has already been released for 7 days. The KX's first sale day in the USA was 12 October 2009.

Yes, the K-2000 model DSLR camera does come equipped with shake reduction as a standard feature. The price of the two lens kit from reputable internet dealers (www.bhphotovideo.com, www.adorama.com, and www.amazon.com) has be hovering around $529.00. I would be careful of dealers selling this two lens kit for a lesser price. If in doubt, please check, www.resellerratings.com.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:54 PM   #26

snowave-

Please keep in mind that it is pretty much not possible to purchase an entry level DSLR camera such as the Pentax K-2000 with out buying the kit lens or a two lens kit. The best way to evaluate any deal is to add up the component parts and to arrive at a a toatal. Then compare that "total" against the price being asked for the DSLR camera and the kit lens, or in the case of a two lens kit the price of the two lenses and the DSLR camera. In some cases you will have to make an "educated guess" about the price of the DSLR camera body.

Generally speaking, $80 to $100 is the usual allowance made for the price of the kit lens when sold along with the DSLR body. So it should not be difficult to make an approximation.

A litle arithimetic can disclose some interesting facts. The point I am making is that you, as a potential DSLR camera buyer might not have the optio of purchasing the DSLR camera body separately and then adding the lens of your choice. That option is more common when purchasing a used camera, which is fairly easy to do by purchasing a DSLR camera body only by itself.

Purchaseing a used DSLR camera is sort of a crap shoot, because there is no guarantee given to the seller. As a result, secodary insurers have sprung up to offer guarantees, of course for a specific price. keep in mind that some insurers are excellent, others are more difficult to deal with in the event that you have a SDSLR camera problem.

Now let's do a back glance of sorts. What is the cheapest entry level DSLR camera now available? it appears that the Sony A-230 DSLR holds that honor. Is it a good DSLR camera? Actually it is not a bad DSLR camera at all. It is one of the few entry level DSLR cameras that can take very reasonable photos at ISO 3200. That is an ISO setting that many DSLR cameras, including the highly rated Canon XSi camera can not attain.

I have attached a Sony A-230 photo sample taken at ISO 3200 that looks very creditable.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:56 PM   #27

Here is a photo from the Sony A-230 DSLR camera taken at ISO 1600.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:03 PM   #28

Well it appears in my research that the Pentax K2000 is better than the sony you listed, the only advantage the Sony has over the Pentax is the good ISO which really isn't too important to me because i will be shooting primarily landscape.

I never realized how hard and how many options in camera's, specs, and options there are available. It can be a little frustrating I admit.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwave83 View Post
Well it appears in my research that the Pentax K2000 is better than the sony you listed, the only advantage the Sony has over the Pentax is the good ISO which really isn't too important to me because i will be shooting primarily landscape.

I never realized how hard and how many options in camera's, specs, and options there are available. It can be a little frustrating I admit.
You said it bro....

Hiro, what were the settings you used in the pic you posted??
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:27 AM   #30

Good Morning, littlejohn-

In yesterday's two sample photos that Hiro posted, he adjusted the exposure while in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode, using the Exposure Compensation feature. He felt the first photo was slightly overexposed, so he applied EV-0.7 (atb least that is my guess) in Exposure Compensation to increase the Dynamic Range and to darken the sky slightly in the photo.

Well littlejohn, how are you coming along with the Olympus E-620 camera? A few days ago you mentioned problems in achieving a focus lock in low light level conditions. The E-620 is a good all around DSLR camera with lots of features, but it is not really a high ISO capable camera, like the Sony A-230.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce