Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:31 AM   #31

Good Morning, Snowave-

I agree with you. You really do not need the high ISO capability that the Sony A-230 DSLR camera would provide. You would be well served by the Pentax K-2000, or the Pentax KX, if you wanted to upgrade and to have a HD video clip feature as well. However, I believe that you mentioned that you would also be carrying a camcorder as well, so that might not be necessary.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Good Morning, littlejohn-

In yesterday's two sample photos that Hiro posted, he adjusted the exposure while in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode, using the Exposure Compensation feature. He felt the first photo was slightly overexposed, so he applied EV-0.7 (atb least that is my guess) in Exposure Compensation to increase the Dynamic Range and to darken the sky slightly in the photo.

Well littlejohn, how are you coming along with the Olympus E-620 camera? A few days ago you mentioned problems in achieving a focus lock in low light level conditions. The E-620 is a good all around DSLR camera with lots of features, but it is not really a high ISO capable camera, like the Sony A-230.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah...I like the oly, but the slow focus is an issue for an impatient sort of guy. The A230 was more fun I think (not sure if it was because it was the first and I really studied it).

I like the features of the E620..the one biggy is the ability to turn the screen to protect it.

The A500, is out..and I think its the next 'test'...Tho I think prices will drop like they have on the A230..when I don't know...

Yet there is so much to like about the 620 as well,
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:22 PM   #33

LittleJohn-

Well, stick with us as we go in depth on the Canon XSi camera. That could be of interest as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
You said it bro....

Hiro, what were the settings you used in the pic you posted??

Quote:
Good Morning, littlejohn-

In yesterday's two sample photos that Hiro posted, he adjusted the exposure while in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode, using the Exposure Compensation feature. He felt the first photo was slightly overexposed, so he applied EV-0.7 (atb least that is my guess) in Exposure Compensation to increase the Dynamic Range and to darken the sky slightly in the photo.
Hi Sarah & John-

The first pic was taken with Aperture priority mode. I set it to f/8 and let the camera decide the shutter speed. I didn't use EV compensation as Sarah mentioned. Shutter speed was 1/250.

The second was manual exposure mode. I set the aperture f/8 and adjusted the shutter speed until I got the confirmation. I don't quite remember what EV value I chose though.....could be -0.3... Shutter speed was 1/450.

However, the trees and the river also got darkened. So, my friend did post-processing for me and the image came out like this. It's a 5min Elements job.

I guess post-processing is necessary to get the best result.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:37 PM   #35

It sure looks good to me, Hiro-

The colors are great and in my opinion the exposure is tack on and exact. Yes, I would agree that post processing did help the appearance of the image as well.

Thanks for the explanation. However, what I suggested to also produce the same result.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:45 PM   #36

Sarah ,

I appreciate all your comments, and I hope you had a good night thus far. I have to be honest, I am still quite lost. I can not decide between buying new or used, buying a body and then a wide angle glass or buying a kit. Like I said earlier my budget is no more than $650. I never realized how many things to consider before a purchase, even for an entry level camera. I like the Pentax 2000, I like the Nikon D60 w/lense kit, I like the Cannon Rebel XT or XTi. So many choices, and still many questions.

I literally pick a diff. camera everyday and sometimes switch my choice back ha ha I am certainly doing my due diligence, I have even begun to read "The Digital Photography Book Volume I by Scott Kelby and will begin II upon completion.
snowwave83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:59 PM   #37

snowave-

We surely do not want to create any confusion. The Pentax K-2000 is an excellent choice in DSLR cameras. It can be purchased as body only, as body with the kit lens, and as body with a two lens kit. So get whichever works best for you. We did discuss the two lens kit as it was a way to save the most money.

You are in control and I personally do not think there has to be any confusion. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:38 AM   #38

Quote:
LittleJohn-

Well, stick with us as we go in depth on the Canon XSi camera. That could be of interest as well.

Sarah Joyce
I was thinking about purchasing the XTi 10.1 MP w/18-55mm for $475 and change from a reputable amazon seller. I know you have mention earlier in this thread and in other threads about the XS and XSi. I actually looked at a XSi instore and found the size to be very small. What other differences can you note. I know the XT predates the XS but are there really notable differences in quality of picture?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:36 AM   #39

So I finally made a decision and bought a used Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (Black).

I stayed within my budget by paying $481.00 total including shipping and the seller has included two lenses caps, all the orginal accessories, and extra battery and I believe a bag as well.

Can't wait to start shooting, the few chapters I've read in Scott Kelby's book has me really excited to get started.

I know I sacraficed some options with the XTi instead of the XSi including live view, ISO, and FPS I still feel that the image quality will be compatible.

My next purchase will surely be a new glass, I really like the Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC Zoom lenses but at over $400 it will be something I need to wait on.

Thanks for all your help, especially Sarah, Tcav, and Hiro.

Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:16 AM   #40

Congratulation, Snowwave-

I am sure that you will enjoy your Canon XTi DSLR camera. Post some photos when you have a chance. And please remember, we are always here to help you with questions and advice.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce