Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:56 AM   #11

ok I gotta ask...what does 100% crop mean?
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
A pixel-for-pixel portion of a photo. Instead of reducing a 4288x2848 pixel image down to 800x600 so it can be posted here, you crop out an 800x600 portion of the image and post that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikgp View Post

Budget
- USD $1000.

Are you new to cameras?
- Yes, previous experience is limited to basic point and shoot.

Where do you plan on using this camera?
- Anywhere and everywhere. I'm getting my feet wet, and want to learn as much about the hobby as possible

Do you plan on using this camera indoors or in low light?
- I plan to shoot both indoor and outdoor

Do you plan on taking lots of sports or other action photos?
- maybe? probably?

Will you want manual settings and lots of features?
- yes and yes

How much will you need to zoom?
- thats what additional lenses are for right?

How large will you need to make your prints?
- at the moment, I'm not concerned with print size. 2x3 will be the smallest, with 8x10 being the standard?

Size
- Not a primary concern.

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
- 8 mp or more

How important is “image quality” to you?
- Extremely important

Do you need any of the following special features?
- Wide angle: again, thats what lenses are for right?
- View finder: meaning lcd viewing? (ie live view?) it would be nice, but not vital
- Image stabilization: Very Important.

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
- seems to be nikon or canon for me...maybe sony

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

NO

Would you like forum members to suggest accessories used often?
yes

as same situation and as the topic's owned. Im a newbie and looking for a DSLR camera . I almost found one camera but im worry about it . that is Sony Alpha 380. My frs advised me should use Nikon or Canon but I have no idea about them. Can i have some recommendation. Thanks all
kakapham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 5:52 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
TCav is right, it is basically showing one pixel on the sensor to one pixel on the screen. I'm not sure that what Sarah posted is as it is a large portion of the original..... or the original is a heavy crop already which might have caused confusion.

I 100% crop is used when discussing quality as it is impossible to tell how good results are when you take a full resolution photo and just reduce the size for posting here.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakapham View Post
as same situation and as the topic's owned. Im a newbie and looking for a DSLR camera . I almost found one camera but im worry about it . that is Sony Alpha 380. My frs advised me should use Nikon or Canon but I have no idea about them. Can i have some recommendation. Thanks all
The Sony A380 is a fine camera, but it is built around the articulating 'Live View' display. Because of Sony's system of placing a secondary image sensor in the pentamirror housing to get the 'Live View' image, the image in the optical viewfinder is smaller, and since the 'Live View' display sticks out the back a little, it's harder to get close to the optical viewfinder. To be sure, 'Live View' is a nice feature, and is even handy for some things, but if it impedes the use of the optical viewfinder, which most dSLR users find more useful, then the camera is less useful.

Also, Sony has a smaller selection of large aperture medium telephoto lenses that would be appropriate for indoor sports, and, though they are excellent lenses, they are also very expensive.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sony A380 is a fine camera, but it is built around the articulating 'Live View' display. Because of Sony's system of placing a secondary image sensor in the pentamirror housing to get the 'Live View' image, the image in the optical viewfinder is smaller, and since the 'Live View' display sticks out the back a little, it's harder to get close to the optical viewfinder. To be sure, 'Live View' is a nice feature, and is even handy for some things, but if it impedes the use of the optical viewfinder, which most dSLR users find more useful, then the camera is less useful.

Also, Sony has a smaller selection of large aperture medium telephoto lenses that would be appropriate for indoor sports, and, though they are excellent lenses, they are also very expensive.
Yeah. thanks to your cm. so any suggestion to shop a camera with my buget $1000 ? can i get good camera including good lense ?

Last edited by kakapham; Oct 24, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
kakapham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakapham View Post
Yeah. thanks to your cm. so any suggestion to shop a camera with my buget $1000 ? can i get good camera including good lense ?
The OP used some broad strokes when he was describing what he wanted to shoot, and I don't feel comfortable making a recommendation with that limited amount of detail. You just called his requirements your own, and I don't feel comfortable making a recommendation with your limited amount of detail either.

Could you please describe, in detail, what you want to take photos of?
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:37 PM   #18

Thanks guys for explaining the 100% crop...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:45 AM   #19

Either the new Pentax KX or the Sony A-500/A-550 are attractive cameras and worth your investigation. All three use new imagers and are high ISO capable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:53 AM   #20

Well I finally made the jump and Managed to pick up the Canon XSI and 16 gb card (thrown in for free) for $500 total. it only comes with the kit lens, but seeing as I got a good deal on the camera, I'll take a bit of extra money and buy a lens for it. With that being said, can anyone recommend what the "best" first lens to buy is? I would assume that a good all-rounder would be the best idea for a first lens, but that doesn't mean I'm right (thats why I'm here asking the experts). Over time I would like to pick up a prime lens, Telephoto lens and wide angle. I had some questions though:

Is there a difference between Wide angle/Fish Eye/Macro lenses?

Is there a better prime lens to get? (I have been recommended 50mm)

The more I learn about this hobby the more expensive it seems to get!
quikgp is offline   Reply With Quote