Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:17 PM   #21

The K-x prices might drop in a month or two - it's a brand new camera and prices do tend to drop after it's been out for about 2 months. On the other hand, it seems to be extremely well-received, the reviews have been excellent for the most part and it's selling like crazy right now. So it might take longer to see prices drop, I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay a hot item until January. Otherwise, I would agree with TCav - if other years are any indication, camera prices don't vary much at holiday time. If the demand isn't there (i.e., people aren't buying cameras) then you'll see a drop, but I don't think it would be very big.

I've never been much of a fan of the 10 mp sensor that's in the K-m, while the initial postings I've seen with the K-x and it's new (assumed Sony) 12 mp sensor look really good. I'd have a hard time plunking down money on the K-m now that the K-x is out, no matter how cheap it is as the vendors sell off old stock. The price difference vs. quality just isn't there in my opinion (I'm sure there are those who would disagree with me). The K-x looks like a really good deal, even at it's initial offering price, and that's the way I would go.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:23 PM   #22

I surely do agree with, mtngal-

You see I own both the Pentax Km and the newer Pentax Kx model, The difference between the two cameras is substantial. The introductory success of the Kx model, is going to put even additional pressure on the price of the Km models still in inventory. So, I would say that it would be logical to expect even further price reductioms on the Km model during the drive toward Christmas.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:00 PM   #23

Thanks for the advice... so, really, is there any reason for me to get the sony over the Kx at this point?... besides that KM macro lens, that is. Conversely, is the Kx really superior to the A700 in terms of low light image quality, or anything else, for that matter?

Last edited by Ballpointpenner; Nov 2, 2009 at 8:01 PM. Reason: typo
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:13 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpointpenner View Post
Thanks for the advice... so, really, is there any reason for me to get the sony over the Kx at this point?... besides that KM macro lens, that is. Conversely, is the Kx really superior to the A700 in terms of low light image quality, or anything else, for that matter?
the A700 is in a different category than the KX. the build quality is much higher, so it will be much more solid. but also much heavier and bulkier. image quality does not always follow the price point categories. i am not sure that you will see an absolute image quality difference between these 2 models. though i have not done the comparisons myself. the a700 did a pretty decent job at high iso, though a little more processed than the competition. early reports show good showing from the kx. but still pretty early in this product's lifecycle.

because the kx is a newer model it actually has many of the same features as the old a700. nearly equaling its continuous shooting performance and boasting a similar 11 point autofocus (keep in mind the kx does not display the point being used in the viewfinder)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:01 PM   #25

As far as low light image quality goes, the K-x pictures I've seen posted on-line by early owners look really good but I think the jury is still out as far as how it compares with the A700.

As far as other things go - the A700 has some more advanced features, things that justify its higher cost but which might or might not be important to you. For instance, I've never had a problem with the pentamirror viewfinder on the K100, the K-x has a similar one. Many prefer a pentaprism viewfinder which is what the A700 has and which my K20 and K7 have. While some would think it's a deal-breaker, I wouldn't care.

The A700 is heavier than the K-x which I would find a disadvantage but others would prefer.

K-x runs on AA batteries while the A700 uses a proprietary battery (again, that will be meaningful to some but while I have a mild preference for proprietary batteries, I don't mind either way).

The A700 has a faster shutter speed capability (1/8000), but the K-x's 1/6000 is faster than I'm likely to use so I don't see that as a huge advantage.

The K-x does video while the A700 doesn't - that could be a deal breaker for someone who wants it (I don't really care, I rarely use it).

K-x does in-camera HDR which is sometimes useful for some situations but can be easily worked around with software. Both offer similar auto bracketing features (I think - I found the K-x does 3 frames, didn't find how many frames the A700 can do. Both are +/-3Ev).

It was interesting to compare these cameras - I can see some preferring the K-x for the video, while others preferring some of the extra features that the A700 offers (fewer than I had expected, actually).

If I were in your situation (given my own preferences), with owning lenses for both cameras, I'd either try both cameras in a camera store if possible, and see if I prefer the size/weight of one over the other. If not, I'd either try to take comparison shots with both cameras if the store allows, or else look closely at the various review sample photographs when they all come out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote