Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 21, 2009, 4:02 PM   #11

FWIW, I know a very very good wedding photographer who uses the Canon xsi as a BACKUP (not primary) camera, so it must do a decent job of it; but his main camera is also a Canon. He said if his assistant uses a Nikon, they cannot work together because the color is so obviously different from the 2 systems. So, the advice to stick with the same line is appropriate here! I am not sure what the equivalent to the Canon xsi/T1i would be in Nikon, but I'm sure someone else will.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 4:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
FWIW, I know a very very good wedding photographer who uses the Canon xsi as a BACKUP (not primary) camera, so it must do a decent job of it; but his main camera is also a Canon. He said if his assistant uses a Nikon, they cannot work together because the color is so obviously different from the 2 systems. So, the advice to stick with the same line is appropriate here! I am not sure what the equivalent to the Canon xsi/T1i would be in Nikon, but I'm sure someone else will.
Thanks for the info. Is there really that big of a difference in color between cameras once you get to a certain level of equipment?
Daddy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 5:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy0 View Post
Thanks for the info. Is there really that big of a difference in color between cameras once you get to a certain level of equipment?
apparently between Nikon and Canon, there is. The other ones may be closer to one or the other. I think Canon leans towards reddish tones, while Nikon is actually the more "accurate" color.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:13 PM   #14

Yes, color rendition is slightly different when you examine the various DSLR camera brands.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy0 View Post
Thanks for the info. The photographer we are working with uses a Nikon d80. Yes, our children are young, and that is the problem. They won't stand still when you are trying to get a picture, so you have to snap fast! Is there really any major differences between camera brands, or are the differences just minor and more to personal preferences. Also, are we looking at getting different cameras for shooting various subjects(ie sports, landscapes, portraits, weddings, etc) or can that be controlled more by the lenses, photography techniques, etc?

Thanks,

Daddy0
I own two Nikon DSLR'S. They both cost over 5K. Yet I love the D80, which I was given by a friend to test. Wonderful machine, and it's successor, the D90, seems to be the same as above, but with video capability.

Unless you have extremely demanding needs, which call for the ultimate in on the fly flexibility, you wont go wrong with any equivalent to the above. The images, assumining a good lens, will be just as good as what my machines turn out. In fact, Better, since technology keeps gaining. The Canon, Pentax and Olympus equivalents are just as good. But as John pointed out, if you're going to be working with a guy whose gone Nikon, then you would want to stick with the same system.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:41 PM   #16

Would you all say that the lens is more important than the body? Barring specific features that you are looking for, pretty much any dSLR is going to give you good images? In other words, the OP may want Nikon because of the color match...but he might not need the top of the line Nikon body. Would he be better off with a less expensive body and putting more into the lens, flash, etc.?
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Would you all say that the lens is more important than the body? Barring specific features that you are looking for, pretty much any dSLR is going to give you good images? In other words, the OP may want Nikon because of the color match...but he might not need the top of the line Nikon body. Would he be better off with a less expensive body and putting more into the lens, flash, etc.?
Yes - without a doubt. Althouth I would still stay away from the entry level Nikons - if the OP stays with this, prime lenses with wide aperture (50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8) are popular choices - and on the entry level Nikons the OP would not have autofocus.I would suggest a good external flash (800 preferable, 600 could do) and flash bracket as key accessories. Then 70-200 2.8VR.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Yes - without a doubt. Althouth I would still stay away from the entry level Nikons - if the OP stays with this, prime lenses with wide aperture (50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8) are popular choices - and on the entry level Nikons the OP would not have autofocus.I would suggest a good external flash (800 preferable, 600 could do) and flash bracket as key accessories. Then 70-200 2.8VR.
After looking at all the responses, which would be the better choice. Finding a d80 or buying the newer d90. After doing some research, it looks like the d90 has more mp's and better AF capabilities(newer technology) based of of the d300. Also, what is the difference between the DX and FX formats with Nikon and does it make a difference in the photographs from one to the other? I was reading about this somewhere and it had to do with diffrences between the d300 and d700 I think.

Thanks for the help.
Daddy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:31 PM   #19

Daddy-O-

This really hits right back at what budget you want to expend on your proposed DSLR camera. I personally believe that the Nikon D-90 id the best match with your wedding photographer/friend's Nikon D-80.

The Sony A-500 and the Pentax Kx model use the same 12mp imager. In fact, the Pentax Kx model might have an even greater high ISO capability when compared to the Nikon D-90 DSLR camera.

So, my recommended DSLR choice, based on your situation, would be the D-90 DSLR camera. Going higher in the Nikon DSLR food chain brings a constantly reducing advantage.

But of course, please understand, that this is just my personal opinion, and I am trying to save you a buck or two.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:01 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Also, Nikon's flash system is very trusted. The D-90 would be a great choice.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote