Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:05 AM   #31
Super Moderator

the thing is we are looking at web-resized images from a lens that is known to not be sharp.

the fact is, the camera offers excellent resolution, on par with any 12-15mp sensor out there. thats a simple fact.

there are just too many variables that go into a photo to make a judgement based on limited samples.

also keep in mind each manufacturer uses a different amount of incamera sharpening and contrast.

the resolving power difference between any camera in this class in the 12-15mp range is very negligeable and should not be a deciding factor.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:57 AM   #32

http://dom87ss.smugmug.com/

A member that I know from another website uses a Canon XSI alot,you can check out his pics in the link I've posted here
Fz28-Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:03 AM   #33

Sarah Joyce,
Did you discontinue your review of the xsi?

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:06 AM   #34

Thanks for this post. I've decided on an xsi I think.
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:09 AM   #35

Suzie-

I had to suspend work with the Canon XSi, and I picked up a course that our Community College wanted to present before Christmas. So, I started from scratch and am having to develop a whole new course.

Previously, all I had to complete was one new course for the Winter Semester beginning in January, so I've had to make an immediate reallocation of my time.

You know the old adage:"... too many irons in the fire at once..."

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:11 AM   #36

so would you say you love your XSI?
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:17 AM   #37
Super Moderator

the Canon XSi is a great camera if it fits your needs. image quality is as good as anything out there.

so it really doesn't matter if someone else "loves it"

it comes down to "does it fit your needs, and does its ergonomics and control scheme fit your preferences"

this will determine the amount of "love" you have for your camera.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:29 AM   #38

Mary,

I do have a Canon xsi, and I really like it. Keep in mind, I am still learning and in no way an expert. But I have enjoyed it and I think my photos are improving. You have to devote time to learning all about the camera itself, and also how to rethink taking pictures. I mean, I find myself not just taking pics nilly willy, but actually trying to think about what I am doing. And that makes for better pictures.
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave59 View Post
Mary,

I do have a Canon xsi, and I really like it. Keep in mind, I am still learning and in no way an expert. But I have enjoyed it and I think my photos are improving. You have to devote time to learning all about the camera itself, and also how to rethink taking pictures. I mean, I find myself not just taking pics nilly willy, but actually trying to think about what I am doing. And that makes for better pictures.
Great advice. Repeat after me: a DSLR, any DSLR is NOT a magic point-and-shoot camera. If you buy an XSi or other DSLR and expect it to magically improve all your photos while shooting in auto mode you will be disappointed.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:57 PM   #40

Dumb question here from an amateur.

Although not a MAGIC point/shoot camera, won't the Rebel XSi (in program/auto mode) perform very well as a point/shoot camera??

The reason I ask? I had an AE1 Program 35mm camera and liked it very much as much of my photo shooting was done in Program mode.

And right now, I am seriously considering the XSi because it appears to be very similar to the old AE1 Program.

Am I off base???

Thanks. Appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!
varminter22 is offline   Reply With Quote