Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:37 AM   #51

Dave-

That is really amazing! That is real image quality. The photo experience seems to be somewhat limited by the camera itself, but you cannot argue with the image quality.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:48 AM   #52

Default Jumping in w. Q r: quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Now while I absolutely love this little camera, my D2x with a good lens will easily match this quality.
That is the IQ I am looking for. I am new to cameras and photography. What are my choices? Are there entry-level DSLRs that will get that? Is the Sigma DP2 the least expensive camera to provide that IQ? Is there a P&S with that IQ?

Thanks!
Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:02 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriekira View Post
That is the IQ I am looking for. I am new to cameras and photography. What are my choices? Are there entry-level DSLRs that will get that? Is the Sigma DP2 the least expensive camera to provide that IQ? Is there a P&S with that IQ?

Thanks!
In my opinion (and I'm NOT the most knowledgible photographer who posts on this site) just about any of the current DSLR's will match the quality of the Sigma, if you are using a good lens. Mind you, the Sigma IS a P&S, albeit with a very high quality lens, and easy to use manual controls. While I rave about the Sigma, it's my second camera, not my first. No zoom. You have to zoom with your feet. It's convenient for me to take anywhere, and I do. Whereas my dSLR's are big, bulky and attention makers.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 2:38 PM   #54

I started two threads giving examples of the Sigma's capabilities in the Point and Shoot, "Other" forum. People might want to take a look at these shots.

What an incredible camera - The DP-2 - Steve's Digicams Forums

One more shot from the Sigma DP2 - Steve's Digicams Forums

Unlike other P&S cameras the Sigma Does have the resolving power of a SLR with a good lens. Which, after all makes sense. It's sensor is almost as large as a DSLR sensor.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 3:21 PM   #55

Thank you, Dave. I'll start another thread in the "What Camera for Me" forum re: the Sigma. My first question is about the DP2 lens for landscape shots -- isn't it a bit long? The shot from the bridge would argue otherwise ... I may not be understanding the dif bet. the DP1 and the DP2 correctly. My second Q is how good a camera it is for daylight (with some assist) studio portrait shooting. My third Q is about the sensor size ... I thought it was _the same as_ entry-level DSLR's. I'll check.

But don't reply here ... to avoid blowing out our candle in the thread draft ...

Beautiful work in the shots posted, btw. Thanks for the links!
Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:01 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i am thinking with shooting competitions. the improved AF and zero shutter lag of a DSLR would be almost necessary.
Thanks for the info and opinions! I do desire 2 or 3 fps capability.

Today I looked at the XSi and the Nikon D5000.

The D5000 was very nice, but significantly more expensive. I did like the 'live view' option.

Also have a chance to pick up a very slightly used (from a friend) XS.

Choices & decisions!

I appreciate your comments.
varminter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:16 AM   #57

varminter-

The Canon XS is not as quite full featured as the Canon XSi. However, it is an excellent DSLR camera that is fully supported by Canon with lenses, flashes, and all the needed accessories.

Many folks feel that the XS model is the easiest Canon DSLR on which to transition from point and shoot cameras to a DSLR camera. With 10mp on the imager, the XS is quite capable. I have attached a Canon XS photo sample.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote