Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:53 AM   #11
Super Moderator

The 22Mp MF cameras are to 22Mp DSLR as a 12Mp P&S is to a 12Mp APS-C DSLR.

The bigger sensor has better dynamic range, colour reproduction, etc. This is apparently very obvious in fine-art prints.

However, it is certainly true that for many purposes the current 35mm FF DSLR cameras are capable of producing results only previously possibly through the use of MF film.

But notice how the top-end 35mm DSLRs like the Nikon D3X and Canon 1DsMkIII are around $8,000, the Leica M9 is about the same, and the new Mamiya MFD is only $10,000. The gap is certainly closing, and that has to be great news for everyone. :-)
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:57 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The bigger sensor has better dynamic range, colour reproduction, etc. This is apparently very obvious in fine-art prints.
Some of the test results seem to indicate otherwise. For example, the Nikon D3x has 13.7 stops of DR according to dxomark (whereas Mamiya is only advertising 12 stops of DR for their new models). We'll have to wait for more tests to see how the new models compare. But, comparisons with the older ZD digital back imply that the D3x has the edge in virtually all areas related to IQ.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng...and2%29/Mamiya
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:34 PM   #13

As JimC says, we'll have to wait for more tests to see how the new models compare. I agree, completely.

I've always been one to avoid making a judgment, until there is enough information to make a well informed decision.

Given that the Mamiya was just introduced, I think it too early to make final decisions. However IMO, as an long time, medium Format (film) user and owner...I would be very surprised...to say the least... that medium format digital cameras such as the Mamiya, Hasselblad and scheduled to be introduced Pentax 645 would not offer any differences in image quality over FF cameras.

It will be interesting to see what happens as these new cameras come out and are tested, by both media and actual commercial photographers.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote