Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:31 AM   #1

Default Medium Format wars to heat up-choices

I'm not sure where to put this thread as there is no medium format section. But to those, like myself who are medium format fans this is interesting news. New digital medium format cameras from that old Pro camera standy...Mamiya.

Even though it's touted as a deal, under 10 Grand it's not cheap, but I believe a better deal than Hasselblad.

I believe Pentax is rumoured to be coming out with a digital version of their old, but well respected 645 line, sometime in 2010.

It would also be great to see Pentax also bring out out a digital version of their old warhorse...the 6 X 7.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09...yadm22dm28.asp

I still have my Mamiya 220 Pro F TLR medium format (6 X 6), also Mamiya-Sekor 80mm Normal, 65mm wide angle and telephoto 180 mm lenses, from my film days.

Lately I've been thinking of dusting them off and using them .

There's nothing quite like film medium format ...the negative sizes are very large compared to 35 mm and the image quality is....excellent.

No, medium format isn't for sports shooters, but for portrait, landscaping or still life they are really hard to beat.

Now I'm used to the film MF, haven't tried a digital MF. But if the digital MF is anything like the film MF's...it should be significantly better image quality than even the smaller digital full framers from Canikon.

I'm glad to see choices for medium format out there. If Pentax brings out a 645 I expect prices will continue to get more reasonable.

Even the basic Mamiya is outside of my budget, but who knows if prices continue to get better...I would love to have a digital medium format.

Either Mamiya or if Pentax decides to introduce a new 645.

I've got a Mamiya (film) and I've used Pentax 6 X 7...I think either make would be great.

I sometimes wonder are they're any others out there that are medium format fans ? Or am I the only one that is excited by the prospect of more medium formats coming into the market and nurtures the hope that as more come in, the prices will start to drop.

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 21, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Administrator

Well.... I've been hearing about a Pentax 645 Digital camera for years. I'm still waiting for it. ;-)

One problem is that pricing for models using 35mm film size sensors that have relatively high resolution and dynamic range is continuing to decrease. For example, the latest 24MP Sony A850 model (under $2K here in the U.S.), with over 12 stops of Dynamic Range. The latest Canon EOS-5D Mark II is another example.

These cameras are available at a much lower cost compared to the latest 22MP and 28MP Mamiya DM22 and DM28 offerings announced today, which are advertised to have a 12 Stop Dynamic Range (no better than current full frame 24MP dSLR offerings from Sony or Nikon, like the Sony A850, A900 and Nikon D3x) with lower available ISO speeds, frame rates, etc. compared to the latest full frame dSLR competition.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:05 AM   #3

My old twin lens reflex cameras are the pride of my collection. However, to be honest, I never got a whole lot of use out of them, even before digital photography. Agree with JimC, today's FF DSLR cameras are terrific. And if there is a swingout liveview LCD, then the waistlevel angle is covered too.
But those old TLR cameras will always occupy the place of honor on my shelf.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:05 AM   #4

Les-

JimC has made some excellent points. As TCav says in his tag line, the full frame cameras of today may indeed become the replacement for Medium Frame cameras.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:53 AM   #5

Man, I wish I could use the 65 mm. and 150 mm. lenses of my 6X7 Mamiya 7! But no. No adaptators. No digital backs. They've become useless.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Super Moderator

my next system

http://s.leica-camera.com/leica-s-system

well, maybe not, but it doesn't hurt to dream
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Super Moderator

sorry.. back on topic

http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/news/pen...lease-date-185
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Well.... I've been hearing about a Pentax 645 Digital camera years. I'm still waiting for it. ;-)

One problem is that pricing for models using 35mm film size sensors that have relatively high resolution and dynamic range is continuing to decrease. For example, the latest 24MP Sony A850 model (under $2K here in the U.S.), with over 12 stops of Dynamic Range. The latest Canon EOS-5D Mark II is another example.

These cameras are available at a much lower cost compared to the latest 22MP and 28MP Mamiya DM22 and DM28 offerings announced today, which are advertised to have a 12 Stop Dynamic Range (no better than current full frame 24MP dSLR offerings from Sony or Nikon, like the Sony A850, A900 and Nikon D3x) with lower available ISO speeds, frame rates, etc. compared to the latest full frame dSLR competition.
Jim, in Medium Format with film...an important factor was the negative size of a medium format, whether it be a 6 X 6, 645 or 6 X 7....the more common sizes in later film Medium Formats. Compared to a 35 mm the MF negative size was...overwhelming. I'm know as a photographer you are familiar with this MF film camera advantage.

Now I'm certainly no technical maven, but I do note that the new Mamiya's sensor is 48 X 36 cm...compared to a top Canon (EOS-1 Mk. 1V) which is 27.9 X 18.6 cm.

I also note that the image size for the Mamiya is 6144 X 4622 compared to the Canon's largest at 4896 X 3264 ...best JPEG I think...only looked at it briefly.

In my view, professional portrait/ landscape, etc. photographers are not going to pay a bundle more, for a medium format if it doesn't offer more punch than a full framer like the top Canikon ff. The MF camera is a pro tool that has to perform and offer more..that would be the bottom line, IMO. Especially considering the significant price differential between a top Canikon FF and a MF digital.

Now since the Mamiya just came out I haven't seen any tests...but those specs look pretty good to me. However the proof (no pun intended) is dependent on the final image.

I can't see how professional camera (manufacturers) companies would be able to stay in business, if there was no difference in quality..

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:06 PM   #9
Administrator

From March 2005. I'm still waiting. ;-)

Quote:
Pentax Announces 645 Digital Medium Format Camera
GOLDEN, CO (March 15, 2005)PENTAX Imaging Company has announced that PENTAX Corporation will unveil the first PENTAX 645 Digital medium-format camera at the Photo Imaging Expo (PIE) from March 17-20, 2005 in Tokyo. This latest PENTAX digital advancement will be showcased under glass at PIE 2005.

The PENTAX 645 Digital camera will offer professional quality digital image reproduction. The camera will feature: PENTAX 645 AF mount, compatibility with existing smc PENTAX 645 interchangeable lenses and a Kodak developed CCD image sensor with 18.6 total megapixels.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
From March 2005. I'm still waiting. ;-)

Jim...you gotta update your reading material...that report was from 2005...here's a report from this year...about next year..

Les

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&ved=0CA8QFjAD&url= http%3A%2F%2Fpentaxworld.com%2Fforum%2Fnews-announcement%2Fpentax-645-digital-is-back!%2F&rct=j&q=pentax+645+march+2010&ei=hk_fSu7x O9PAlAex7o1E&usg=AFQjCNH8MsirgvNXiwHT_GDrY3EFDhjZc Q

Although you're right the Pentax digital 645 has been rumored to come out in previous reports. I've always been one never to count my chickens till the eggs hatch.

I'll believe the Pentax digital 645 when I see it.

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 21, 2009 at 2:23 PM.