Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:56 AM   #11
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

Get the best camera you can comfortably afford. It may be more than you really need, but at least you can't complain that if your pictures aren't good enough that the camera is at fault. :-)

If you like the 50D and the price is acceptable to you then go for it. I do not subscribe to the view that it is better to learn photography with highly-automated and very limited equipment.
__________________
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Great posts Hawgwild!!

You mentioned several thought provoking ideas...and raised one question..weather sealed cameras...who makes them and what exactly is weather sealed? (I DO know you can't scuba with them LOL, but that's about it..))
my thoughts exactly--I think weather sealing would be AWESOME! My old Olympus Stylus was weather sealed and it was great (meaning, a little rain won't hurt it, not that it can be submerged)
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:21 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Get the best camera you can comfortably afford. It may be more than you really need, but at least you can't complain that if your pictures aren't good enough that the camera is at fault. :-)

If you like the 50D and the price is acceptable to you then go for it. I do not subscribe to the view that it is better to learn photography with highly-automated and very limited equipment.
well, I'd suggest handling them first, and seeing which one seems comfortable to you...also, which one you will be able to figure out how to use at first LOL
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:32 PM   #14
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

comparing say an entry level (rebel xsi/450d) to an enthusiast level (50d) dslr, there really isn't much difference in "things to figure out"

and yes of course, you should handle the cameras and find the one whos controls fall in a nice place for you, and use that information along with information on "does this camera have the performance for the kinds of photos i shoot" "does this system offer lenses that do what i want them to do in the price i can afford". as well as your overall budget to pick the dslr that best meets your needs.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:24 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

If weather sealing is high on your list of priorities, especially if you are on a buget, take a look at the Pentax line-up. The K200, K20 (discontinued, it was a great buy when everyone was selling the end of their stock but is now harder to find) and K-7 all have seals. Coupled with weather sealed lenses (Pentax now has a WR version of their kit lenses), it's quite useful. Recently my husband and I took a hike in light rain, with a K20 and K7 and sealed lenses, left the cameras exposed as we were taking pictures constantly and both cameras still work fine. Others hiking had their Canons, Sonys (I saw both) and other cameras wrapped in plastic. I wouldn't take the cameras out in a heavy downpour (I won't take myself out in such conditions either!), but gentle rain and snow haven't bothered the cameras at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:40 PM   #16
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

to be honest, light rain/snow will not hurt most dslrs. i used to take my canon 20d out in the snow and light rain all the time. my friend would do the same with his nikon d70. never was a problem.

anything above the entry level are actually pretty decently tough and can handle much more of a beating / harsh conditions than one would imagine.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:11 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
hiro1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
to be honest, light rain/snow will not hurt most dslrs. i used to take my canon 20d out in the snow and light rain all the time. my friend would do the same with his nikon d70. never was a problem.

anything above the entry level are actually pretty decently tough and can handle much more of a beating / harsh conditions than one would imagine.
I think so too. At least my lens is weather sealed, I can always put a plastic shopping bag to cover the body if it's raining heavily.

How about operating temp though? We usually get single digit during winter months in Wisconsin. My E410's lowest operating temp is about 34F. The E-3's lowest operating temp is 0F. That's the reason why I'm thinking about getting the E-3 or K-7.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:22 PM   #18
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

i highly doubt you would have any troubles with any modern dslr in single digit winter temperatures despite the "operating temp", as i think most are pretty conservative estimates.

i think the E-3 or K-7 would have no problems whatsoever.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:28 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
hiro1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i highly doubt you would have any troubles with any modern dslr in single digit winter temperatures despite the "operating temp", as i think most are pretty conservative estimates.

i think the E-3 or K-7 would have no problems whatsoever.
Thanks! Yea, you are right. I thought that was a good excuse to convince my wife... lol.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:33 PM   #20
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
Thanks! Yea, you are right. I thought that was a good excuse to convince my wife... lol.

- Hiro

still a good excuse...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:39 AM.