Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:40 PM   #1

Default Im nervous!

Well we thought we wanted a new camcorder and I had the bright idea of getting the Cannon T1i to kind of give us the best of both worlds. We currently have a Kodax point and shoot (DX7630) which takes, what I feel is good photos, but it has a poor movie mode. I am nervous because my wife said I could buy the cannon but it better be a noticeable difference in picture quality. So as far as the picture part goes would you say there will be a huge difference in quality over my current camera? She would kill me if I hyped up the cannon and spent the money and it looks no better. I guess is there really a big difference from photos taken over a CCD vs the CMOS?

As far as the movie quality goes, Ive read alot about it and I know it is not a camcorder but does anybody have any expereince with actual quality @720p and the run time for videos? Im scared that the movie part wont really live up and again it will bring me back to the last paragrapgh about my wife killing me. Im not looking to make feature lenght films but I want nice videos of the family and things of that nature and crazy stunts. You know, the hold my beer watch this moments!haha Oh and there is currently nothing wrong with my Kodax just looking to maybe upgrade for the readons above. Would it be worth it?

Any help would be great and thanks for your time

Last edited by Simtech; Oct 22, 2009 at 3:42 PM.
Simtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2

Better? Yes. Always better? Most of the time.

What do I mean? Bright sunny day, taking a picture of the kids at the picnic table eating a sandwich.... either camera is going to take a picture of similar enough quality that the average wife is not going to be impressed with the more expensive camera.

Taking a picture of junior blowing out his birthday candles in a darken room? The Canon dslr is going to blow the Kodak P&S out of the water.

Taking a picture of junior running with the family doggie in the backyard? The Canon wins hands down.

Wanna take a picture of a hummingbird in flight? Going to Yellowstone and want pictures of buffalo, wolves, bears etc? Add a big lens to the Canon and you got a killer setup.

For snap shots the Kodak is good enough. For serious pictures the Canon is a major, major upgrade.

For Video, the jury is still out on the use of a dslr. That said, most of what I have seen is good enough for my needs/desire IF the camera is used properly (stable, good lighting etc) and is not significantly lacking compared to the average camcorder.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:48 PM   #3

Check out this review of the video...
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digi...y=addThreeStar
You may not be happy with the video as compared to a video camera...
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:53 PM   #4

Another one (also from Amazon):
7. HD Video. Yes, the Canon marketing department made a horrible marketing decision and pushed the T1i onto shelves limiting the 1080p recording to 20fps (frames per second). Recognize this as a marketing gimmick that allows them put a 1080p sticker on the camera box. The 1080p @ 20fps is fine most times, but seems a choppy if you have a lot of action in the frame or are panning quickly. The T1i's 720p video is recorded at 30fps and is clean, smooth, and sufficient for all but the most discerning consumers. One major criticism though is that the sound is recorded in mono, AND there is NO input for an external microphone.

A lot of pre-production reviews of the T1i criticize its inability to automatically autofocus while recording. I wouldn't put much weight in this criticism, mostly because neither of the other two SLR cameras with HD recording capabilities (Canon 5D Mark II and Nikon D90) can automatically autofocus while recording either. What you can do with the T1i is pan/zoom the lens and then press the AE lock (*) button to make the camera autofocus on the new subject (all while recording). A problem with using the AE lock button to have the camera autofocus is that the microphone for the camera is on the front upper left of the body near the lens mount. Therefore, the lens motor noise is picked up just as much as ambient sounds. Even with my quietest Canon USM (ultasonic motor) lenses, this lens motor sound is pretty loud in video playback. Although, remember, you can always manually turn the focusing ring on the lens to get your subject back into focus. It's not easy, but after a little practice, it's not all too hard, either.

Ultimately, you shouldn't let the HD recording limitations sway you one way or the other. This is an SLR camera -- not a video camera. The HD video is a great feature, but if you're looking for something primarily to take video, look elsewhere. There are much better, cheaper VIDEO cameras out there which can record true 1080p.

(emphasis mine)
For what they're worth, they're just someone's opinion, but thought it was worth a look
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I have looked at another camera and would like the input. I am now comparing the Nikon D90 to the Canon T1i. The nikon has a larger sensor but has less mega pixels. It also only shoots 24 FPS for 720 video. But the nikon also has a greater FPS for still photos of 4.5. Which would you all perfer??
Simtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:38 PM   #6

I don't know specifically about the D90, but I was just at the camera store tonight, discussing the dSLR video. The guy was explaining to me that the dSLRs ONLY advantage over a video camera is the lower DOF (which you might want in some cases), which is expensive to achieve in a video camera, apparently (just going by what he said). Otherwise, he said NO dSLR is going to give you great video at this time. They all suffer from an inherent difficulty because of the CMOS sensors. He gave the example of, if you are panning past a telephone pole, the telephone pole will appear to bend over. I guess the image scanning cannot keep up with the movement.
Add to that the lack of ongoing focus in HD mode, at least--so if your subject moves, it is no longer in focus. You can manually adjust it, I believe, but that's not really practical.
He also said that at high zooms you get a crazy image, kind of like the streaks you see above a jet engine from the heat...

All in all, it sounds to me like it will probably not replace your video camera.

But again, take it for what it's worth, I haven't used them myself...maybe someone else here has...
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
Thanks for the responses. I have looked at another camera and would like the input. I am now comparing the Nikon D90 to the Canon T1i. The nikon has a larger sensor but has less mega pixels. It also only shoots 24 FPS for 720 video. But the nikon also has a greater FPS for still photos of 4.5. Which would you all perfer??
sensor size is aps-c for both.

image quality between the d90 and the t1i will not be much different.

the build quality is a little higher on the d90 as it is more of an advanced amateur line camera. whereas the t1i is in upper end of the entry level dslr lineup.

just get in the shop and do a little testing with each camera. see which one fits you best, which one's control scheme feels most natural.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote