Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:04 PM   #1

Default Looking for an entry level DSLR for drag racing photos

I am currently looking / shopping around for an entry level DSLR camera that will be mainly used for photos at the drag strip,and car shows mainly.Also,wouldnt mind taking lightening photos.

I want to keep the budget around 500-600$ range. Currently,I'm thinking either the Canon XS or the XSI.

Any suggestions welcome,thanks!
Fz28-Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:29 PM   #2

FZ-28-

I have had very good success with the Canon XS camera but it is limited. However, the absolute biggest bang for the buck has been a Sony A-200 which I purchased on E-Bay for $350.00 delivered. It is a camera I like a lot, and when paired with the Sony 55-200mm lens, another E-bay bargain at less than $100.00 delivered, it has deliv has delivered great photos. Believe it or not I have even shot a wedding with it and the bride was amazed. You see I was the secondary photographer who out produced the professional wedding photographer. It is really a rather amazing camera.

That might not be enough zoom for you. 200mm, in 35 mm terms equals 300mm, which is pretty good. I am really not sure, but the Sony A-200 easily goes to ISO 1600 and can be pressed to ISO 3200 in a pinch with rather amazing images. Here is one at ISO 3200 which looks pretty good.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 25, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:09 AM   #3

The XSi has a better AF system than the XS for sports/action/wildlife.

Of course, nothing is going to track a Top Fuel Dragster as it hits Top End. It's just moving too fast and there's just not enough of it to focus on. But if you want to capture cars in the staging area or in the Bottom End, the XSi would be a better choice of the two.

The lens choice depends on your vantage point, and that depends on the track.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The XSi has a better AF system than the XS for sports/action/wildlife.

Of course, nothing is going to track a Top Fuel Dragster as it hits Top End. It's just moving too fast and there's just not enough of it to focus on. But if you want to capture cars in the staging area or in the Bottom End, the XSi would be a better choice of the two.

The lens choice depends on your vantage point, and that depends on the track.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-au...sin=B0011ZGIS6

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29912678

The main issue I'm seeing/reading about is,regarding the XSI,is the focusing problems this camera seems to have
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:23 AM   #5

mtclimber:

The Sony pic looks good,but,I'm leaning towards Canon for this task
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fz28-Panasonic View Post
The main issue I'm seeing/reading about is,regarding the XSI,is the focusing problems this camera seems to have
O.E.

(Operator Error)

In the IT industry, it's called PIBTK.

(Problem Is Behind The Keyboard.)

Last edited by TCav; Oct 25, 2009 at 1:03 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:07 AM   #7

Also, a shorter focal length lens, like the kit lens, will give you a perspective that enlarges the car in the near lane and reduces the car in the far lane. I think a telephoto zoom would give you a better perspective and the most flexibility. Canon's 75-300 III and 100-300 aren't very good, but their 70-300/4.0-5.6 IS USM ($550), 70-200/4.0 USM ($620 after rebate) and 70-200/4.0 IS USM ($1,160 after rebate) are excellent. If they're out of your price range, Canon's 55-250/4.0-5.6 IS ($255), and Tamron's 70-300 Di LD ($170) and 55-200 Di II LD ($135 after rebate) are good.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
O.E.

(Operator Error)

In the IT industry, it's called PIBTK.

(Problem Is Behind The Keyboard.)

Agreed. There is no focusing problems with the XSi, in fact it has a pretty darn good AF system for a camera in this price range.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fz28-Panasonic View Post
I am currently looking / shopping around for an entry level DSLR camera that will be mainly used for photos at the drag strip,and car shows mainly.Also,wouldnt mind taking lightening photos.

I want to keep the budget around 500-600$ range. Currently,I'm thinking either the Canon XS or the XSI.

Any suggestions welcome,thanks!
I have used this seller many times. They have good prices, quality gear, and offer "Mack Warranties" on what they sell. Just click on the link, or copy and paste it.
http://www.usedcameras.com/
TOM
thomcher144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:48 PM   #10

I have used this seller many times. They have good prices, quality gear, and offer "Mack Warranties" on what they sell. Just click on the link, or copy and paste it.
http://www.usedcameras.com/
Don't waste you $$$$ on anything except for an F2.8 lens, anything slower will give you nothing be headaches when the lighting is low. The slower lens' will also not give you good "stop action" in your shots evrything will be blurred. Remember the higher the "F stop", the slower the lens, the more light it needs to focus and the higher the chances that your shot will be blurred.
Good Luck,
TOM
thomcher144 is offline   Reply With Quote