Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Now, if you want to use a flash that does not communicate with a camera (for example, a non-dedicated flash like a Sunpak 383 Super), where you have to set the camera and flash to match for ISO speed and aperture (since there is no communication between the camera and flash except to trigger the flash), then you can get an adapter that lets you use one of those in a Sony hotshoe.
That was what I was hoping for. So I ordered the Adorama adapter. Funny thing, the Adorama product photo looks exactly like a Seagull adapter. When it arrived the Adorama invoice listed the Adorama adapter. But the adapter does not say "Adorama" anywhere on it, still looks identical to the Seagull product shots. Anyways, does NOT work with my old Vivitar non-dedicated stoneage flash. Never triggers, no matter what the configuration (and I tried them all, including using the adapter-to-flash PC cord). The A200 does not appear to have a PC terminal. I did come across a post on a Sony forum by a studio guy who tried one of these adapters. His studio had lots of old flash units to try on it. Only about half of these flash units worked with the adapter.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:28 PM   #12

I tried the 230, its a nice camera, great for a beginner....the screen is a helpful screen and provides tips. (perhaps the 330 does as well)

The 55-200 lens seems to be better...(sharper) then the other kit lens (I just forget the range..).
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:11 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Anyways, does NOT work with my old Vivitar non-dedicated stoneage flash.
It's probably the flash trigger voltage You really don't want to use a flash with a trigger voltage much over around 6 volts with many modern cameras, or you could damage a camera's electronics. See this thread for details:

Trigger Voltage Limits with Modern Digital Cameras

For example, I've still got an older Vivitar 273 that I would not try to use because it's trigger voltage is very high.

If you do have a need for a flash with higher trigger voltages, I'd get a device designed to reduce the voltage down to acceptable levels (without clamping it entirely preventing a flash from triggering). A Wein
Safe Sync is one way to do that (as mentioned in that thread).

Sony makes a battery powered adapter with that type of protection built in:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...30695#features

But, it's probably easier to buy a more modern flash. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:45 AM   #14

Quote:
But, it's probably easier to buy a more modern flash. ;-)
My thought as well. Didn't know about the different trigger voltages. Anyways, in theory I could still use this adapter to fix a slave with optical trigger to the camera. And some of those slave units are plenty cheap. So I did not return the adapter, may add a slave some day.

Dinosaur
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote