Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:50 AM   #1

Default Sony A230 or A330

I'm looking at getting a DSLR but I'm kind of stuck between the A230 and A330. I'm not really sure if I need the tiltable lens or the live action view. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this.

Thanks
txtc112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:01 PM   #2

The 'Live View' isn't much use for general photography. dSLRs are bigger and heavier than P&S digicams, so it's harder to hold the camera away from your body to use the 'Live View' on a dSLR than it is on a P&S. When the camera is on a tripod, 'Live View' can be handy, and when you're using the camera at odd heights or angles, the articulating 'Live View' can be handy, but for general purpose shooting, the A330's optical viewfinder is smaller than the A230's (0.74X vs. 0.83X), and the articulating display sticks out further from the back of the camera, so the optical viewfinder is harder to use.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:32 PM   #3

So I should probably save the $100 and get the a230.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:41 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd try them in a store and see what you think.

If you decide on the A330, here's a magnifying eyepiece you may want to consider:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/produ...product-report
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:57 PM   #5

txtv-

I have the Sony A-230 and I like it a lot. I especially like the Sony 55-200mm lens. You did not mention the kind of shooting you are planning. However, I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the A-230 does at high ISO shots.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:07 PM   #6

txtc-

Here is a bounce flash photo taken with the Sony A-230 camera using the Sony 55-200mm lens. The lens turns up on ebay from time to time and can usually be had for around $90 to $100.

My decision was this: I never seem to use Live-View very much anyway, so, the money that I saved bought that Sony 55-200mm lens I like so much.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:07 PM   #7

I'm really just going to be using it for standard pictures right now, but I will probably be using the camera for big family get togethers to take portraits.

I also take alot of pictures inside my church and a P&S is just not turning out to well. I'm also looking at getting the extra flash for the camera a few months down the line. But I'm just not sure if I will need the tilting screen and the live motion shooting on the A330 so I'm starting to lean more towards the A230 because the other extra options will probably not be used.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:11 PM   #8

txtc-

Yes, I get a lot of use out of my Sony external flash. That is a very worthwhile addition to your kit.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:01 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm also looking at getting the extra flash for the camera a few months down the line.
Be aware that the flash hot shoe on Sony cameras is not standard. Only a Sony flash unit (or BrandX specifically FOR SONY) will work directly with a Sony. There are adapters that are supposed to let you use a standard flash. But they work with only about half of the flash units out there. I found this out the hard way with my A200.

roadkill Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:39 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Only a Sony flash unit (or BrandX specifically FOR SONY) will work directly with a Sony.
If you want a flash that can communicate with a camera so that it understands the settings information, then the same thing is true for other camera brands.

Just because a hotshoe looks the same, doesn't mean a flash will work properly. ;-)

Modern digital cameras use sophisticated communications protocols between a camera body and flash, thanks to a need for metering pre-flashes and more, and that communications protocol is proprietary to a camera brand (Nikon, Sony, Canon, etc.).

If you want a camera that understands camera settings (so that you don't to shoot in manual exposure and set the camera and flash to match for things like ISO speed and aperture), you have to use a flash that's designed specifically for the system you're using unless you want to resort to manual power settings (if the flash you are using even has them).

For example, with a Nikon dSLR, you need a modern flash that is iTTL compatible. For example, a Nikon SB-400, SB-600, SB-800, or SB-900. Or with a Canon dSLR, you need a modern flash that is eTTL II compatible. For example, a Canon 430EX II or 580 EX II.

You'll find the same thing with third party flashes. For example, a vendor like Sigma has 5 different versions of a flash like their EF 530 DG Super (different part numbers for models designed for Nikon, Canon, Sigma, Pentax and Sony models). They are *not* interchangeable between camera brands. ;-)

Now, if you want to use a flash that does not communicate with a camera (for example, a non-dedicated flash like a Sunpak 383 Super), where you have to set the camera and flash to match for ISO speed and aperture (since there is no communication between the camera and flash except to trigger the flash), then you can get an adapter that lets you use one of those in a Sony hotshoe. Here's an example:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...cat=275&page=1

I've got the older version without voltage protection, and it lets me use non-dedicated flash models (and they tend to be dirt cheap on the used market). I've got a Sunpak 333 Auto and 222 Auto I use from time to time with a Maxxum 5D and Sony A700 (and I can trigger them both at the same time via one of these adapters -- one via the hotshoe, and one via the PC Sync Cord connection built into it)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote