Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:53 PM   #11

It is just my personal opinion but the Pentax K-2000 model is available with kit lens for $450.00 and as a two lens kit at $529.00. It might be worth a look. It is available at B&H Photo and Amazon.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 26, 2009 at 6:23 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
It is just my personal opinion but the Pentax K-2000 model is available with kit lens for $450.00 and as a two lens kit at $529.00. It might be worth a look. It is available at B&H Photo and Amazon.

Sarah Joyce
I found this for $399. Would the K2000 be a better performer than the *istD? And the other thing is that it's brand new. It's at their entry level where as the *istD is a little higher up but does that really mean anything?
gndksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:06 AM   #13

There are some advantages to the *istD - I'm another fan of the 6 mp sensor it has for one, liking it better than the 10 mp sensor in the K2000 (I've owned cameras with both sensors, still own one with the 6 mp sensor). Another is that it can use TTL flash while the K2000 does not - it uses a more modern PTTL system. If you don't have any older TTL flashes this probably doesn't matter to you. It's a really well-built camera and has been a real work-horse. As I recall (I've never owned one), it has a better viewfinder (though the K2000's viewfinder isn't bad at all).

There's also a number of disadvantages. It uses CF cards instead of SD/SDHC and it's the only Pentax camera to do so. I wouldn't buy or not buy a camera solely based on the media it uses, but you might be interested somewhere down the road to upgrade to a more advanced camera and it's nice to be able to continue to use your current cards.

The fact you want to print as big as 20x30 also puts the *istD at a disadvantage. I know people that have used upsizing software to do it successfully but I haven't printed anything larger than 8x11 so don't know what the results would be like. I do know that you can get a really nice picture at 8x11 without any trouble at all.

It's auto focus will be slower than the K2000 (the early Pentax cameras were known for having a relatively slow AF system). While that doesn't bother me in the least as I shoot mostly macros and landscapes and am perfectly comfortable with manual focus, shooting those quick moving kids will be easier with a faster AF system. On the other hand, the K2000 has fewer auto focus points - something that some people will care about while others won't.

The K2000 has in-camera anti-shake, while the *istD doesn't. That's going to be critical to some people, but not to others. Personally, I'm not the steadiest shooter in the world any more and often shoot in conditions where I'm using a slower shutter speed than I can reliably hand-hold so I really appreciate it. Someone shooting sports needs much faster shutter speeds to avoid motion blur and so won't particularly care about IS.

My final thought is that while I really like the 6 mp sensor and the *istD is a really nice camera, you would probably be better off with the K2000. It's faster AF would be useful and the extra mp will make large prints easier.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:17 AM   #14

As we all realize, digital cameras, and DSLR cameras in particular, all go through incremental improvements with each new model. mtngal has done an excellent job of speaking to the differences in the two cameras.

Personally, I see the jump from 6mp in the 1stD, to 10mp in the Km/K-2000 model are quite important if you want those super size enlargements. The other issue is that the 1stD has no image stabilization at all, while the Km/K-2000 does has image stabilization built into the body, meaning that every lens placed on that K-2000 will have image stabilization. Those two factors will be very important for your enlargements.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:54 AM   #15
Super Moderator

i agree for your enlargement purposes, and for the in-body stabilization. as well as the fact you seem to keep equipment longer than most of us, going with the newer, higher-resolution k2000 for your particular needs seems best.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:12 AM   #16

Well we made the final jump last night. Totally changed routes. We ran across a almost new Canon Rebel XT for $275 for everything including lens, case, 2gb memory, and more. The camera looks like it is brand new. The guy bought it and used it once at a family party and put it in his closet. I was surprised it was in like new condition with everything. I was going to go the istD route but the guy selling it become very pushy and a jerk so I cancealed that deal. Now we have to learn how to use it! Thanks for the guidance on the Pentax's.
gndksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:31 AM   #17
Administrator

Congrats! Make sure to post some photos from it when you get a chance.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote