Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:54 PM   #1

Default Best Bridge Megazoom Prosumer Camera

I am hoping that someone can offer some insight to help me with a difficult decision. I am currently shooting with an old (very old) Sony Cybershot DSC F-717. I still love the camera, but at only 5 megapixels, I am running into trouble when I crop small portions of photos. I would also like a longer zoom. My greatest concern is taking pictures in low light with no flash in a theater setting. I cannot move up to a DSLR, because I need a silent shutter so I won't disturb the people around me. A long zoom would be really helpful, as would a camera with a very reliable Auto setting, since fumbling with settings in the dark can be difficult. I recently purchased a Canon Powershot Sx20, tested it for 2 weeks and promptly returned it. The zoom was great, but the image quality was lower than my old 717! I am now considering the Sony Cybershot Hx1 and also the Canon Powershot SXI, or anything else that anyone can recommend. Does anyone have any words of wisdom, advice, recommendations? I'd appreciate any feedback -- Thanks!
gsm_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:46 PM   #2

gsm_va-

Welcome to the Forum!

Well, perhaps as an old time Sony F-717 owner myself, I can lend a hand. I also like bridge cameras or superzooms. I owned, tested and returned both the Canon SX-10 and the Sony HX-1. I finally settled on the Panasonic FZ-28 and was a happy camper.

The FZ-28 is now out of production, and just about all of the FZ-28 cameras remaining on dealer's shelves have, by now, disappeared. You occasionally see a FZ-28 every now and then over at E-Bay.

The replacement for the Panasonic FZ-28 is the recently introduced FZ-35 model here in the USA. I suggest that the FZ-35 might be a good one to look at. I personally have not used the FZ-35.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out the Panasonic 35 -- It looks great -- very well rated and definitely has all the features I'm looking for. I actually just ordered it from Amazon. It's so nice to hear from someone who also had a 717. You can understand how hard it is to upgrade when so many of the non-DSLR cameras can't even perform as well as the 717 did. Does the Panasonic have a feature that will let me save a group of settings for a specific environment, like a theater? What settings would you suggest for that environment?

Thanks again for the advice :0)
gsm_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:19 PM   #4

Theater shooting is precisely why I moved on from bridge or superzoom cameras to DSLR cameras. I wanted better high ISO performance that a bridge camera could not provide. I do not own an FZ-35, but when I did shoot with my FZ-28, I found that I could only go as far as an ISO 800 setting, before my image quality went to pot.

In contrast a DSLR camera, like the Sony A-230, Sony's lowest priced entry level camera can go to ISO 3200 without any huge image problems.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote