Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:23 PM   #21

hards-

You make an excellent point. We have consider everyone's needs in this thread. The Km or K-2000 is perhaps not perfect for javacleave's needs. Shooting gymnastic shot in a poorly lit gym places great requirements on a camera, that the KM/K-2000 camera cannot handle as well as the Canon T-1, a DSLR camera several tiers or levels above the Pentax Km/K-2000 model. But it will do a great job taking the needed photos for a lot of other folks that do not have grueling requirements that javacleve faces in a poorly lit gymnasium where she has to have a really high ISO setting that will provide enough shutter speed to stop or freeze real action.

Most well qualified observers felt that the www.dpreview.com review was more negative than necessary. Just look at the other professional reviews, and you will see very positive upbeat professional reviews. Shutterbug Magazine is not missing the mark with their great review/evaluation of the Pentax Km/K-2000 DSLR camera.

Please do not attempt to directly compare the Km/K-2000 DSLR camera to the Canon T-1 or 50D cameras. Those cameras are multiple tiers or levels upward from the Km/K-2000 camera and many hundreds of dollars more expensive. Just check the prices and you will very easily see what I am talking about.

I really like the Km/K-2000 camera a lot and I have a lot of experience with the camera. I can share with you a very interesting fact, as I just received delivery of the highly touted Pentax Kx camera today. After shooting over 50 images today I will tell you that the Km/K-2000 is better at focusing than the Kx model because you might have the center point focus selected, but you get no visual indication in the Kx's viewfinder as to where that cente rpoint is really is located.

In contrast, on the Km/K-2000 camera the centerpoint is displayed in the viewfinder and accurate focusing is greatly assisted and faster, and both cameras are built on the same DSLR body.

Based on my short experience with the Kx model, if you do not need ISO settings above ISO 3200, the Km/K-2000, might be the better choice that saves you some real cash.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:28 PM   #22
Super Moderator

sarah,

i thought neither the kx nor the km had an AF point overlay. i thought this was similar between the km and kx (just that the kx has more hidden focus points)

so what exactly is different?

thanx,
Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:41 PM   #23

Dustin-

The point I was attempting to communicate is that the Pentax Km/K-2000 has a very good AF point overlay that is nicely visible in the viewfinder. Today, I had no AF point overlay on the Kx, and I really missed that feature. I will be checking the documentation tonight to see if there is indeed a way to make that AF point overlay visible in the viewfinder and I will report on it tomorrow (10/28) in this thread.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:49 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Dustin-

The point I was attempting to communicate is that the Pentax Km/K-2000 has a very good AF point overlay that is nicely visible in the viewfinder. Today, I had no AF point overlay on the Kx, and I really missed that feature. I will be checking the documentation tonight to see if there is indeed a way to make that AF point overlay visible in the viewfinder and I will report on it tomorrow (10/28) in this thread.

Sarah Joyce
ok, thanks for checking that out sarah.

i could have swore i remembered 2 sets of brackets and some circle thing in the viewfinder of the kx i played with. there was no red light to confirm what exactly was focused, but there was a beep and green light in the bottom.which i thought was the same as the km/2000. i dont know though, my memory could be off.

cheers,
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:25 PM   #25

Dustin-

I found it! The AF overlay is available when the Kx fous mode is selected to AF-S or AF-C, it is not available in the AF-A focus mode, making it pretty much like the Km/K-2000 model.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
not as good.

not sure why the aversion for the camera that seems to fit your needs the best....
not an aversion, really! I do have some concerns about the T1i, as I've stated before, is all. So if I see a good lowlight photo from a camera, I want to take it into consideration then...but you all answered my question quite clearly Just want to know all my options!
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:21 PM   #27

javacleve-

Yes, the Pentax Kx model can do high ISO settings quite nicely. However, the fast lens that you need is not available the Pentax line.

Sarah Joyce