Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:07 PM   #1

Default Want a great, intro DSLR- check this article out

For those just getting into DSLR- dom...check out this month's Shutterbug magazine. Great report and review of the Pentax K2000 (KM).

In fact the reviewer says and I paraphrase... that the K2000 would be his first suggestion for any photographer getting into photography. He compares it to the legendary Pentax K1000 of 35 mm yesteryear, a camera that many photographers cut their teeth on.

I have a K2000...although I'm not a beginner. I use it as a second body to my K10D and for my Pentax system of lenses...I also use it as a daily, carry around during the day.

After using my K2000 (KM) extensively for about 6 months I find my experience agrees with his review.

As I always mention I check out a number of tests at websites, magazines, personal discussions with those who have the equipment...and most importantly of all...I always try it out...particularly for the kind of photos I take.

I'm careful when listening to some...some individuals have blind loyalties to a particular brand.

Remember get as much information from as many sources as you can.... weigh all the evidence....then make an informed decision.

I have Pentax equipment...but I also have other brands that I'm happy with...Canon, Leica, Olympus, etc...there are some really good brands out there that can fulfill your needs.

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 26, 2009 at 3:13 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:36 PM   #2

Thanks a lot, Les-

The Pentax Km or the Pentax K-2000 as it is called in the USA is a great DSLR camera, that is not only capable of great image quality but it is also easy to use. It is a DSLR camera that I recommend highly to anyone wishing to move over to a DSLR camera.

I have also had my Km/K-2000 for 5 months and have produced some really excellent photos. Here is a smple photo, notice the sharpness.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:37 PM   #3

And for the pixel peepers, here is a 100% crop of the photo above.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:41 PM   #4
Super Moderator

with the price reduction to 450$ with kit lens since the arrival of the kx, its literally a steal if this camera fits your needs.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Thanks a lot, Les-

The Pentax Km or the Pentax K-2000 as it is called in the USA is a great DSLR camera, that is not only capable of great image quality but it is also easy to use. It is a DSLR camera that I recommend highly to anyone wishing to move over to a DSLR camera.

I have also had my Km/K-2000 for 5 months and have produced some really excellent photos. Here is a smple photo, notice the sharpness.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

That pix of your husband is very sharp...was it the 18-250 lens that you used ?

I think, more than most people, you have quite a handle on the abilities of different makes/models of camera as you have quite a number, or have used quite a few different makes/models.

I liked the analogy the test made ...comparing the K1000 film and the K2000 digital.. I think it's accurate and a good model for Pentax to have brought out.

Les
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
with the price reduction to 450$ with kit lens since the arrival of the kx, its literally a steal if this camera fits your needs.
I think that price also includes the 200 flash, although I'm not sure of that. You're right though..it's a good deal.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:09 PM   #7

No, Les-

The were only a very few of the AFS-200 flash units manufactured. Therefore, any kit containing that AFS-200 flash has actually gone up in price, unfortunately.

Amazon has the two lens kit available at $(US)519.00 (as of 10/26) which is an excellent price and it is $(US) 10.00 less than just two weeks ago at Amazon. It is my opinion that the introduction of the Pentax Kx will continue to further depress the Km or K-2000 prices over the next 30 days or so, then it will be all over.

So if anyone wants to get in on the K-2000/Km "bargain," they had best be keeping a very close eye on prices and availability, as this transition plays out. believe me, it will not last for long.

B&H now has the Km body alone for $(US)419.95. And yes, that photo was taken with the Km body and the Pentax 18-250mm lens. It is rather amazing isn't it? pboerger has had very similar results. His Monterey Bay Aquarium photos, taken with the Km are also very, very excellent and rather amazing. Anyone interested in the Km should take a good look at those images.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:33 PM   #8

Les-

Just one further note to illustrate how far prices are rapidly falling toaday 10/26. The Km/K-2000 body is now at just $(US)399.99 through www.amazon.com.

How could you ask for more?

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:42 PM   #9
Super Moderator

heck, for that price i almost wanna buy one. and i don't own a single pentax lens.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:01 PM   #10

I use it as a second body to my K10D and for my Pentax system of lenses...I also use it as a daily, carry around during the day.
gismifmif is offline   Reply With Quote