Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:11 PM   #1

Default Please Suggest : looking for a good Camera for Best Price.

Hi,
I want to purchase a good camera, which has got good optical zoom, stability and good quality pictures and also can take nice snaps during low lights.., in indoor and at night.
Currently I am using Nikon Coolpix S4, with 10x optical zoom.
I am not able to use this camera for indoor pics.. this doesn't have the image stability capablities. sometimes I feel sad, that I have spend around $560 for this camera which can be used only for outdoor shooting.

Just wanted a suggeston on, which would be the best option, do I need to go for a SLR camera or a normal one. My budget is upto $500-700 Maximum.
I don't have much idea which is the best brand, do need to go with Nikon , cannon or Sony... etc..

Thank you for your valuable suggestions in advance.
Regards
Vinoop
Vinoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

could you give us an idea of what kind of indoor shots you are interested in taking.

do they involve fast action or sports.
are they relatively still pictures of inanimate objects.
do you require a long telephoto lens, or do you use mostly more wide-angle.

just give us a little more information on your normal shooting habits so we can suggest the proper system/lens combination for your particular needs.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:23 PM   #3

Indoor shots are mostly fast action, like dance or sports... and around 70% we take pics of moving objects..train.. animals... birds.. etc..
I used to zoom long range pics for scenic views, thats the reason i selected my first camera with 10x optical zoom, which was also compact in size and weight.
unfortunately.. it failed to capture pics in night mode and also without flash...
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:31 PM   #4

Vinoop-

Welcome to the Forum-

The specifications you have laid out really can best be handled by a DSLR camera equipped with a fairly powerful external flash.

An entry level DSLR camera is well within your proposed budget. Every major camera manufacturer has an entry level model that could meet your requirements.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:37 PM   #5

Default FZ28 is a good camera but ...

I have the Panasonic FZ28, which has generally had good reviews, but I don't think it's great for taking pictures of fairly fast moving objects indoors. I would strongly consider heeding Sarah's advice to think about getting an entry level DSLR. She has some recommendations on inexpensive yet capable DSLR's.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:32 PM   #6

Vinoop-

One of the better "buys" in the entry level DSLR market today (10/26) is the Pentax K-2000 model in a two lens kit. Then lenses included are the pentax 18-55mm kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm telephoto lens at Amazon for $529.

With Pentax having the IS (Image Stabilization) feature built into the camera body, that means that each of those two lenses have IS, and that is a real advantage. The $529 price tag is well within your proposed budget.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:34 AM   #7

Could you please tell me the differernce between CCD imaging sensor and CMOS imaging sensor and which is the better one...?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:39 AM   #8

Thank you Sarah for the solution, however, just curious if I need to go for Pentax or other brand, because most of my friends say to go with Nikon or Canon, so just need to know, the best option, Pentax, Nikon or Canon...? because, you people know more about Cameras than other's, so wanted ur suggestion on this.
Eg : Pentax K2000, Nikon D5000, or Canon EOS Rebel T1i..or other than this..

Last edited by Vinoop; Oct 27, 2009 at 4:42 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:02 PM   #9

The physical size of the imager is what really goes a long way toward improving your images. Take high ISO shots for example, DSLR cameras have an imager that is approximately 15 times larger than your average point and shoot camera. That feature coupled with a good fast lens is what accounts for the measurably better image quality basically for all DSLR photos, but in particular for high ISO shots.

Your original post requested:"... a camera at the best price..." Now I could be wrong, but I saw the term best price, to mean the lowest price.

Let's arrange these DSLR cameras from the major manufacturer properly by generally accepted categories.

Entry Level DSLR cameras are usually the lowest price DSLR cameras:
Canon XS-no image stabilization
Nikon D-3000-no image stabilization
Pentax Kx - the KX model is just being marketed to replace the K-2000 model
Olympus E-450 - no image stabilization
Sony A-230-in body image stabilization on Pentax and Sony

Second Tier DSLR Camera - a slight up grade in price with more features
Canon XSi- no image stabilization
Nikon D-5000-no image stabilization
Pentax K-20 - if it can be found
Olympus E-520 - in body image stabilization
Sony A-500 - in body image stabilization

Third Tier DSLR cameras - again a high price and more features
Canon T-1 - no image stabilization
Nikon D-90 - no image stabilization
Pentax K-7 - in body image stabilization
Olympus E-620 - in body image stabilization
Sony A-550 - in body image stabilization

Note: Canon and Nikon brand DSLR cameras are marketed to sell you the IS feature built into each individual lens. That increases the purchase price of each lens, and correspondingly also increases the cost of that camera brand's system. Note too that for the Olympus brand, there are fewer DSLR choices, therefore it is more difficult to assign that brand in tiers. In this case the OLYmpus tier placement is rather subjective.

Because each DSLR manufacturer uses a proprietary mount for their brand, the lenses used on say Canon cameras, will not fit a Nikon camera, and for that matter they will not fit the Pentax, Olympus, and Sony brand DSLR cameras as well. So it is very important to understand that when you initially make your DSLR camera buying decision, you are essentially buying into a single DSLR camera system. That is true because, when you upgrade, you will only purchase a new DSLR camera body and keep your original lenses.

So you may choose whichever DSLR camera you desire, from whichever tier or level you desire. All brands produce quality DSLR cameras However, each DSLR camera will have its individual pluses and minuses, based on the type of shooting you do and your personal preferences. Please just clearly understand that as you increase the tier or level of DSLR cameras, the feature set, as well as the price is going to increase.

A question we are asked a lot is how good are the high ISO shots from an entry level DSLR camera? So I will begin attaching a photo sample that I have taken personally from each of the entry level or lowest price DSLR camera brands. Today's attached photo was taken by the Sony A-230 camera. It was taken without a flash, using a numerically increased ISO setting on board a cruise ship in September 2009.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:03 PM   #10

And for the pixel peepers, here is a 100% crop of the above image.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images