Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:35 PM   #1

Default Which cam best for me?

Hi i'm looking for a point and shoot cam which takes good pics. I take a lot of pics indoors usually portraits of my kids, but good outdoor photos with lively colors also important...
At the moment am looking at the canon sx200 IS, panasonic DMC-ZS3 or Sony DSC-H20 are there any others in this catigory to look at. which do you recomend?
I saw reviews complaing about the canon giving lens error and problems in loading video from panasonic onto computer...can you help?
Thanks
camforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:26 PM   #2

camforme-

Welcome to the Forum!

When you mention: "a lot of pics indoors.." point me toward the Sony H-20, as it have one of the best built-in flash units in the point and shoot market.

The Canon SX200is has only an average built-in flash unit. Its effective flash range is 10 to 12 feet. A lot of users have also complained about the flash unit popping up everytime the camera is powered on.

The Panasonic ZS3 takes beautiful outdoor photos. However, indoors the very samll and underpowered built-in flash unit becomes a HUGE problem. The effective flash range for that camera's built-in flash unit is only 6 to 8 feet. So that just about rules out full length photos, and group photos. Yes, there is a work around, you can purchase a powerful slave flash. But that is an additional expense of $110.00 to $150.00. In addition, you now have something else to carry around with you.

You asked for other camera recommendations: the Kodak Z-1012 was a camera that got really excellent reviews. It can no longer be found in the market place, but it is fairly easy to find at E-Bay. It has 10mp, full IS, 12X Optical Zoom, an EVF or an electronic viewfinder, ISO settings that are usable right up to and including ISO 800. The Z-1012 has an effective flash range up to 15 feet.

How am I qualified to make judgements like these. I have owned each one of these 4 cameras personally and have hands on experience with each of them.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:59 AM   #3

Thanks Sarah,

Seems the Kodak has a short battery life so i'm going to say no to that. Most of my pics indoors are within 8-10 ft, should i still go for the H-20? How is the Sony outdoors compared to the other two?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:09 AM   #4

camforme-

I have never experienced short battery life with the Kodak Z-1012, and I use the standard Kodak KLIC battery and the Chinese equivalent. I always get around 250 shot on a single battery charge.

The Sony H-20 as I mentioned previously has just about the best indoor flash range and exposure in the compact zoom market niche. I also does very well out of doors and I am attaching a personal photo sample.

Also keep in mind that the Sony H-20 is physically smaller in size than the Kodak Z-1012.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:01 PM   #5

Thanks once again,

The sony lacks wide-angle lens although i rarely take group photos should this bother me?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:21 PM   #6

Camforme-

Since you real priority is great indoor photos, I don't see the wide angle as a high priority issue.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:16 AM   #7

You can't go wrong with Cannon. or Nikon. or a Sony with a nice lense.
Remember, optical zoom is more important than digital zoom.
Look for a higher optical zoom. (higher is better=better lense)
Read reviews on Amazon, and maybe search for some photography forums.
You will definately want to get one with a rechargable battery pack, as most cameras run through batteries pretty quickly.
The Rebel is a nice camera.
Also take a look at the Nikon D40.
Good luck.

ipod repair solutions

cheap apple-ipod repair

xbox 360 repair
repair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:40 AM   #8

Repair3

Welcome to the Forum!

However,your screen name says it all! Unfortunately, this looks strictly like SPAM to me. What you have written has nothing to do with this thread.

Sarah Joyce