Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:54 PM   #1

Default Need Some Advice

Hello everyone I'm new to photography and this forum. My birthdays coming up and my dad asked me what I wanted for a present. After thinking about it I'd like to get a digital camera hes willing to spend around $200.00. Id like the best camera that I can get for the money I know its not gonna be the best for the amount of money that I can spend but I'd like the best that I can get under 200 bucks. Id like a camera that I could take any kind of pitcures that I want and not be limited. Like family pitcures wildlife hockey games etc. So pretty much and all around camera. Id really like a DSLR but I know they can be pretty pricey. I have found one called fujifilm finepix s1500fd that had some pretty good reviews. I was just wondering would this be the best all around camera under 200 or is there a better one even if its not a DSLR. Thanks for everyones advise in advance.
ERK419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2

ERK-

Welcome to the Forum!

The Fuji S-1500fd would not be my first choice as it has not received very good reviews. Take a look at the Sony H-20, it a bit more than $200.00 but a good camera for the price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:00 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply can that camera take different lenses? It doesn't look like it and I figure it would cost more to get a camera that can use different lenses
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:19 AM   #4

ERK-

Unfortunately, at your price point you are not going to find any cameras with interchangeable lenses. That is why I suggested a highly reviewed point and shoot camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK419 View Post
Thanks for your reply can that camera take different lenses? It doesn't look like it and I figure it would cost more to get a camera that can use different lenses
You can not exchange lenses but you can add converters (wide angle and tele). The camera comes with an adapter tube needed to attach the converters. By doing so, you can expand the wide angle of the lens, which is very useful in the case of the H20 since its lens starts at 38mm (not wide enough for indoors and landscape photography) or increase the reach (more zoom). There are different tele converter sizes available, varying from 1.4x to 2.0x (there may be even longer ones but it's almost guaranteed that IQ will be close to unacceptable). The thing is, by the time you buy the camera and the two converters, you are at the entry level DSLR cost. So, I would not recommend.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the advise! Now seeing how I only have 200 or under to spend and if I went with the sony I would have to end up spending more money to get what I really want its sounds like I shouldn't go that route. What my goal really is, is to get the best camera that I can possibly get for 200 or less. Seeing how you guys wouldnt recommend the fujifilm finepix s1500fd and the Sony would just end up costing to much money it looks like I wont be able to afford a DSLR. so in saying that and considering any type of digital camera what would be the best camera I could get for 200 or less?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7

ERK-

Two possible candidates would be the Canon SD-1200 and the Kodak Z-915 cameras. Take a look at them

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK419 View Post
Thanks for the advise! Now seeing how I only have 200 or under to spend and if I went with the sony I would have to end up spending more money to get what I really want its sounds like I shouldn't go that route. What my goal really is, is to get the best camera that I can possibly get for 200 or less. Seeing how you guys wouldnt recommend the fujifilm finepix s1500fd and the Sony would just end up costing to much money it looks like I wont be able to afford a DSLR. so in saying that and considering any type of digital camera what would be the best camera I could get for 200 or less?
There's not a whole lot out there for $200 or less that will give you the world. My suggestion is for you to save some money and add that to your gift so you can buy a camera that will make you happy. Otherwise, you will end up spending the $200 and be very unhappy.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote