Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:13 PM   #11

Well, karen-

In view of the limited selection and your desire to get at least 10X optical zoom, then it sounds like the Canon SX-20 (20X Optical zoom), followed by the Sony H-20 (10X Optical Zoom), followed by the canon SX-120 (10X Optical Zoom) represent your best choices, IMHO.

You see the Kodak Z-915 is much less a camera than the Z-950 model. So that eliminates Kodak.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:52 AM   #12

Once again, thanks for your help. I'm still debating between the Canon SX-20 and the Sony H20. They are different cameras I realize, but they both appeal to me. Considering I will be paying the same for each, it seems as though the Canon is the better deal, I'll get more features for my airmiles dollar, but I will be sacrificing portability. I'm a little confused why they only gave the Canon a 3.5 for image quality compared to the Sony's 4.5 rating, because after looking at sample pictures I'm not sure I see the disparity. I have reviews of both from photography blog open and am going back and forth between them comparing the features that they offer. I think either way, whatever I choose, I'm sure it will be a step up from the Canon A95 I'm using right now. I will post my choice when I make it.

Karen
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:36 PM   #13

Karen-

The issue for me is portability. I find that I personally use and take more photos when I am using a smaller, easily carried, camera. The reason that the image quality on the Sony H-20 is actually higher than that of the Canon SX-20, is exactly what we had discussed earlier. The SX-20 has too many pixels on its very small CCD imager. When you add more pixels to the same size CCD imager, and that is exactly what Canon did with the SX-20, the physical size of each pixel has to shrink in actual size.

Smaller pixel or the photosites results in lesser image quality.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:41 PM   #14

Well I went ahead and ordered the H20, thanks again for all the advice!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:03 AM   #15

Hi there, Karen-

Congratulations on ordering the Sony H-20 camera! We know you will enjoy and have a lot of fun with your new camera, particularly with the upcoming Holidays. Post some photos when you have a chance.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce