Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:07 PM   #1

Default Help me choose between Canon SX200, SX20 and Panasonic ZS1

I'm actually choosing a camera from the airmiles.ca site and have a limited selection. I probably would have added the ZS3 to the list had it been on the site.

Initially I was drawn to the SX20, that is until I saw it in person today. It's huge!!! I'm not sure I want to lug something like that around, as I am a fairly casual user, but if you convince me it's worth the trouble, I'll reconsider. I like the feel of the SX200, it reminds me more of the size/feel of my A95 which has served me well the last 5 years or so, but image quality seems to be fading on it, not sure why exactly. The Panasonic is not one I've seen yet, but reviews for the ZS3 are so good, I'm wondering if I should consider the ZS1.

I am a fairly casual picture taker, but I'm really attracted to the super zoom cameras since I do like to take some artsy tight shots every so often, as well as close ups of the flowers in my garden and what not. I also am looking for something with a faster shutter speed than my A95, something that will keep up to my active kids. Hopefully I've given you enough to go on. A few of the other cameras on that site that may fit into the same category are Sony DSCH20 (not great reviews I don't think), Canon SX120 (more airmiles than I'm willing to use, but i could be persuaded if it's worth it), FujiFilm S1500FD and Kodak Easyshare Z915.

I'm looking forward to hearing your responses/comments!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:31 PM   #2

Karen-

Welcome to the Forum!

The Panasonic Zs1 is a great outdoor camera. However, due to it very tiny and underpowered built-in flash unit, it does poor indoors.

The Sony H-20 has indeed received very good reviews. While it does not have a 28mm (in 35mm terms) in its lens range, it is a very good and versatile camera. It has probably the best built-in flash of any point & shoot camera. The 10X optical zoom is very handy. It would be a good choice.

The Canon SX-200 has received mixed reviews. Many users dislike the fact that the built-in flash pops up whenever the camera is powered up. It is about the size of the Sony H-20, but the SX-200 has 12X optical zoom.

You have already ruled out the SX-20 due to its physical size.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:45 PM   #3

Thank you so much Sarah!

I would love to hear your thoughts on the SX-20 regardless. Surprisingly it's the most economical choice of the three, at least on airmiles.ca that is.

I'm actually not sure now where I read negative reviews about the H20, maybe I have it confused with another camera, sorry about that! I've been looking at so many reviews the last few days. I absolutely will take another look at it.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:59 PM   #4

One more thing, I just saw this in a discussion on amazon.com

"In the box you get the camera, lens cover, wrist-strap, lithium battery + charger, multi-media transfer cable (for hooking up to your computer via USB or to a TV via AV cables.), and a software disk. The software is not necessary, and it does not work with Macs or 64 bit Windows."

I have a Mac, so does that the H20 won't be compatible?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:28 AM   #5

Good Morning, Karen-

The Canon SX-200 is perhaps not exactly the perfect choice, but it remains a very good camera. If the constant pop-up of the built-in flash unit doesn't bother you, it is worth consideration.

Regarding free software included with cameras: 10 years ago the software, packaged with digital cameras, was pretty good and very worthwhile to have. Today, that is no longer true at all. The software packaged with digital cameras is essentially minimal and really should not be given a priority in the decision making process.

You can down load Picasa 3.5 for MAC free from www.google.com, and it is a much more substantial piece of software that what is software that what Sony packages with the H-20 camera, anyway. I am a MAC user as well and, I assure you that the H-20 will work perfectly with your MAC.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:55 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Karen-

Welcome to the Forum!

The Panasonic Zs1 is a great outdoor camera. However, due to it very tiny and underpowered built-in flash unit, it does poor indoors.

The Sony H-20 has indeed received very good reviews. While it does not have a 28mm (in 35mm terms) in its lens range, it is a very good and versatile camera. It has probably the best built-in flash of any point & shoot camera. The 10X optical zoom is very handy. It would be a good choice.

The Canon SX-200 has received mixed reviews. Many users dislike the fact that the built-in flash pops up whenever the camera is powered up. It is about the size of the Sony H-20, but the SX-200 has 12X optical zoom.

You have already ruled out the SX-20 due to its physical size.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
This is great stuff Sara.[IMG]http://www.******************/storage/723.jpg[/IMG] Never heard someone give us such great stuff on the SX-20 like this. Am thinking of PMing you with an offer i stumbled upon on Amazon.com i would like to hear your opinion on it.
mexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:12 PM   #7

mexia-

Welcome to the Forum!

And thank you very much for the nice compliment. I personally believe that we have an obligation to state the facts about camera performance. At the same time in making our comments, we have to be 100% fair and even handed.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:17 PM   #8

Sarah, actually, I was still hoping to hear a bit more from you on the Canon SX-20, even though it's a little on the large side. I may not have asked that clearly before. Is it a camera that you think a novice could handle? If the I would get a significantly better picture from the SX-20 I would go with that.
After speaking to a camera salesman, he seemed to really like the Canon SX-20 over the Sony DSC-H20, but I didn't really get a clear answer from him why.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:40 PM   #9

Hi there Karen-

A lot of times, the comments made by the salesman is influenced by the commission he receives on the product. The Canon SX-20 is a good camera, but the increase from 10mp on the SX-10 to 12mp on the SX-20 has come at the cost of some image quality due to a pixel density problem.

Does your list allow you to get the Canon SX 10, instead of the SX-20? if so the SX-10 is the better choice due to its better image quality. Another camera to consider, if it is available, is the Panasonic FZ-35 or FZ-38 camera. The Panasonic is very comparable to the Canon SX-10 and it too has better image quality than the SX-20.

Are there any Kodak cameras on that list? The Z-1012 would be a good choice, and if you can do without a viewfinder, the new Kodak Z-950 would also be a good choice. All of the cameras that I have mentioned here give you 10X optical zoom or better and all are highly rated.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:09 PM   #10

Thanks for the help so far Sarah! Unfortunately no SX-10 on the list, there are some other Canons SD1200, SD780, SD940, SD960, also the SX-120. The only Kodak listed is the Z915. In regards to Panasonic there is the SZ3 and the Lumix DMC-FS6K. A number of these don't have the kind of zoom I'm interested in, (I would like 10x optical) but I thought I would mention them anyways. There's also a Sony SDCHX1, which is a little more than I wanted to spend, but I could swing it.
There is also a Pentax Optio W80 but it only has 5x zoom.

I really appreciate you help sorting through all of this, thank you so much!

Karen