Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:34 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
That is an excellent point, Les-

The Kx two lens kit that includes the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens with the Pentax 55-300mm lens is a real bargain. The savings is really amazing.

Sarah Joyce and Bradley
Sarah:
I've been reading the forum for some days now, and like another person, just seem to be getting more and more confused! With what I've read, I believe a DSLR such as the Kx wqould fill the bill, or K7, but it is hard to sell the wife and daughter on usind a dfslr, but they want (1) speed bewtween shots, (2) lots of bursts, (3) no delay between pushing the shutter and taking the picture, (4) ease of operation (no manuals for them, only me). I'm going crazy trying to please them and not waste money on the wrong camera! Can you give me any advise on what to say to please a woman?
JOEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Hi there, JoeGA-

Well here is a suggestion, take alook at the new Kodak Z-950 camera. That camera might just please them on every count that you have listed. In fact, reading the reviews it appears that Kodak have succeeded in producing a smarter camera, with more effective automation.

Once you wife and daughter have "their camera," perhaps, you can do some shopping for yourself. We are sure to see some price discounts as we head toward Christmas, or even after the first of the year. The camera body only price on the Pentax Km model (the Km was replaced by the new Kx model) is already down to $399.95, and I expect it to go even lower as we head toward Christmas.

Good luck!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:17 PM   #13
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEGA View Post
Sarah:
I've been reading the forum for some days now, and like another person, just seem to be getting more and more confused! With what I've read, I believe a DSLR such as the Kx wqould fill the bill, or K7, but it is hard to sell the wife and daughter on usind a dfslr, but they want (1) speed bewtween shots, (2) lots of bursts, (3) no delay between pushing the shutter and taking the picture, (4) ease of operation (no manuals for them, only me). I'm going crazy trying to please them and not waste money on the wrong camera! Can you give me any advise on what to say to please a woman?
honestly if they want burst and speed. a dslr is what they optimally would want. however if they are averse to the dslr scene you are going to have to inform them of the compromises in these areas of a p&s. so it really comes down to which they value more, the speed of a dslr or the convenience of a p&s.

if you do go the dslr route, there are a number of good values out there, as sarah mentioned the KM is quite cheap right now and a good entry point into the dslr market, as is the A230 from sony. Canon XS and Nikon D3000 are both pretty cheap as well, but still more pricey than the Pentax and Sony offerings.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:55 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Default Primes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
As Sarah says the Pentax 18-250 is a great lens...an 'all in one' really.

But if you have the kit lens ...the 18-55 and want another telephoto zoom to consider...doesn't have the wide angle range of the 18-250...is the 55 -300 Pentax. I have one and I've been quite impressed. Tack sharp...even at 300 mm.

Anyone have any thoughts about prime lenses with the K-x. I was thinking about pairing it with a FA 35mm F/2 instead of going with the kit, mostly because I did most of my shooting on my [film] Minolta 101 SRT with 35 and 28 mm lenses and prefer those over zooms.

Any thoughts? Any other recommendations?
neely615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:20 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neely615 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts about prime lenses with the K-x. I was thinking about pairing it with a FA 35mm F/2 instead of going with the kit, mostly because I did most of my shooting on my [film] Minolta 101 SRT with 35 and 28 mm lenses and prefer those over zooms.

Any thoughts? Any other recommendations?
I've attached a link that discusses Pentax DA Primes. What I think you may find useful is the reviews by people who either own or use the lenses and also note the ratings...which are compiled by the reviewers.

I believe you will find lots of exactly the kind of info you are looking for at this link.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...DA-Lenses.html


Hope this helps,

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

JoeGa-

The nice thing about the Pentax Kx is that it has wide appeal. It also offers fast focusing, fast shot to shot times, and Burst Shooting. With high ISO capability it can easily hand low light environments such as you might encounter in a not too well lit gym, when you were attempting to get some good photos of the cheerleaders.

However, like any DSLR camera, there is going to be a learning curve to deal with, as the Pentax Kx has many wonderful features and possibilities to utilize.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:44 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Les,

Thanks. I think I need to see how this 1.5 multiplier for focal length really works (hands on). I would love to get a set of primes that are wide, macro, my 35, and then a zoom. The kit lens zoom would work well for the zoom, and even both kit lenses could work as a wide and zoom.

Just not sure, and then there is this whole discussion about whether a 28 (or shorter), 35, or fast 50 are the better all around carrying around prime.

Thanks again for the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I've attached a link that discusses Pentax DA Primes. What I think you may find useful is the reviews by people who either own or use the lenses and also note the ratings...which are compiled by the reviewers.

I believe you will find lots of exactly the kind of info you are looking for at this link.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...DA-Lenses.html


Hope this helps,

Les
neely615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:47 AM   #18
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

on a crop body. i find that 28-35mm makes a very nice carry-around prime.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:28 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Default Guess these focal lengths on a cropped camera are perfect

I got out my Minolta to look at something, and realized the lens I normally use is actually the 58mm f/1.4 and I also occasionally use a 28mm f/3.5. Given that the K-x is APS-c, that means that the 35mm should be close to my previous carrying around lens right? (1.5 conversion for focal length)

Can't believe I was so wrong about that lens and thanks for all the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
on a crop body. i find that 28-35mm makes a very nice carry-around prime.
neely615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:30 PM   #20
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

yes, 35mm will be close to in equivalent focal length to what you were previously using.

enjoy.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:48 AM.