Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Suppose I do NOT want a DSLR Camera?

Truly, it is difficult to ignore the momentum that seems to be constantly moving toward, the many DSLR cameras in the market place today.

Is it just us, or are we mistaken? Do we all have to gravitate, and in the long term analysis, select a DSLR camera?

I think NOT! Please do not be pushed over into this vast DSLR tidal action. Point and shoot cameras still have a very realistic position in Photography, they capture great digital images.

That has always been true! Point and shoot cameras should not be discounted at all! Perhaps those digital images are not quite as good, as thosee digital images captured by a DSLR. But folks, they are still great digital images.

Can you settle for a bit less? If that is so, then a high quality digital point and shoot camera might be exactly the "right" answer for you. More in terms of DSLR cost and image quality might not be the REAL answer for you.

Yes, Bradley and I are asking this simple question. A DSLR camera does not always have to be the only answer in terms of image quality.

Sarah Joyce and Bradley
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:19 PM   #2

The thing I find most interesting is that the interest in dSLRs seems to be growing, despite the uncertaint economy. I'd have thought that more people would have looked more closely at the P&S choices.

That is not to say that some of the people here weren't trying to get a dSLR for the price of a P&S, or kicking and scratching in an effort to try to get what they wanted in a P&S but couldn't. All this certainly makes the task of providing unbiased advice more interesting though, doesn't it?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:38 PM   #3

I've only owned my Panasonic Fz28 superzoom camera for a short period of time and am happy with it.At the same time,I want to try out a DSLR camera,so for me,I want to learn about and also use both P&S and DSLR
Fz28-Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:13 AM   #4

My first digital camera was 2004, a canon s200, 2mp and slow as molasses. Couldn't afford a dslr then, so price was the limiting factor for me. I had owned and shot with 35mm slrs and some rangefinder cameras, but comparing p and s 35mm with slr 35mm is not the same as comparing dslr and p and s digital. Obviously, the sensors are different sizes, autofocus is slower in the p and s cameras (but getting better all the time), but I think some of the reasons for owning either are no different from yesteryear. Size, portability, weight, cost, just to name a few.

Some folks now, just like back then, will never desire an slr. They're happy with what they get from their camera, and the extra control isn't that important. Did I mention cost? All of you dslr owners know it is WAY more expensive to own and operate a dslr. Anyway, Sarah I agree with you, a dslr is not necessarily for everyone.

I think if Canon or Nikon, etcetera, would make a p and s with a quality 20x zoom starting at 24mm equiv. with an aps-c sensor for the same money as a current dslr, it would be disastrous for the camera makers.

My wife has a sony N2, and under a variety of conditions, she gets as good pics as I do. She doesn't get near my camera "too many buttons" for her LOL.

So anyhow, there are those who will buy dslrs and those who won't no matter what, regardless of financial ability.

All of the above just my $0.02.

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:50 AM   #5

I think you're right Sarah and Bradley. It's hard for me to judge as I've had slr cameras since '68 when I was a young fellow.

But most in my family, are happy with point and shooters. We got our kids cameras a few years ago. One has a Canon 550 and the other a 560 P+S...they have no interest in any of my DSLR's.

They feel the little Canons do the job for them, the pix are good, they have zoom lenses on them, flash mode...they do all they want and more. They are both in their 20's now and at the most may eventually get something like the Pentax X70 or whatever Canon, Nikon or Panasonic have at that level and be more than happy.

They are largely interested in taking pix of friends and family and places they go to on holidays.

The little Canons do take fine pix.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:09 AM   #6

Sony Cybershot W290 for me at the moment till I can afford a dslr. I really want a dslr with time lapse settings and remote control options.
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:22 AM   #7

Wut gets me is all the queries demanding a camera that takes amazing photos. Completely disregarding the fact that it's usually the photographer who is the amazing part of the equation. Perfection on demand, just slap down enough money ....

old crank
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:01 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fz28-Panasonic View Post
I've only owned my Panasonic Fz28 superzoom camera for a short period of time and am happy with it.At the same time,I want to try out a DSLR camera,so for me,I want to learn about and also use both P&S and DSLR
I think Fz28-Panasonic is on the right track as he gets to experience both technologies @ hand and in the long run get's to know which best suits him.[IMG]http://www.******************/storage/723.jpg[/IMG]
I think he is in a better position to give us a better review or comparison between P&S and DSLR.
mexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:31 AM   #9

Many thanks to all who commented-

TCav, Kelly, and Hawgwild really put their finger on some of the touch stone issues. We have actually seen a small decline in point and shoot interest, even during a period of hard financial times and what appears to be a rather slim upcoming Christmas, in terms of sales.

As Kelly pointed out, it is the person behind the camera whose imagination and creative eye selects the photo environment. As, hawgwild said: a DSLR camera is not necessarily for everyone. It is like there is an increasing dependence on automation, and an erosion of using our creative juices to get that photo.

And please be clear, there is indeed a natural progression of improving skills and a desire for a better or more creative tool that will move some folks along smoothly from point and shoot cameras to DSLR cameras. We just wanted to put forward the concept that creativity can happen at the point and shoot level as well, and that a DSLR may not be an end in and of itself. Express your photo creativity at any level.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote