Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:32 PM   #1

Default Nikon d90 vs Canon 50d

Hi, I'm brand new to the world of dslr and need help chosing a camera. I'm moving to England soon and want to have something better than just a point and shoot camera. I want to be able to capture scenary from all the places I visit over the next 4 years. I'm also intrested in more though, I'm a huge fan of photoshop. Unfourtuantly point and shoots just don't give the quality I'm looking for. I plan on have the camera for a long time and don't want to buy a cheap ($600) camera and wish I had just spent more to get a better camera. I think I have it narrowed down to the Nikon d90 or Canon 50d, but to be quite honest I'm not really sure what's what. I've just talked to friends who say they're both good cameras. I need advice about what's really the best slr for a first timer (I catch on very quickly) I'm not sure how much it matters but I love taking black and white photos. While right now photography is just a hobby, I would like for it to be more down the road. Thanks Oh ya, My budget is up to $1300ish for now and I'll add better lenses as I go
CSMGURL03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:41 PM   #2

One more sidenote. It is important to me that I stay with a well known brand name as I will be out of the states. I just want to make sure I can buy accesories for it wherever I am.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:50 PM   #3
Super Moderator

to be honest. they are both excellent cameras and would suit your needs equally well. the only caveat is that the nikon offers video.

if you do not need/want video, then i would suggest heading down to your local camera shop and spending some time with both cameras. see which one fits your hand best, see which control layout is the most comfortable and natural. after you do this, the answer will become clear to you quite quickly.

both will take equally good pictures in any situation. but keep in mind that you have to be comfortable shooting it and comfortable with the layout. so pick the one that feels right.

and in general be wary of anything the camera salesman says. they may try to sell you one over the other, or a competing model based on their bias or some sales plan.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:02 PM   #4

Most of the important issues have already been nicely touched upon. The only other item that I can add is something the poster brought up himself/herself.

Because you are essentially "buying into" a specific camera system with this decision. Please understand that as you acquire more lenses and accessory items, such as flashes, your investment in either the Canon or Nikon system only increases. That makes this decision an important one.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:03 PM   #5

Thank you, I've been down to look at both of them at my local Best Buy but since they were both foreign to me I found that I think I could get used to either one. I just wasn't sure if one was actually better than the other in anyway. As of now I don't see myself using the video feature, but at the same time I'm sure at somepoint I would wish I had it if I didn't. As far as the lenses go, are Nikon or Canon better or equal?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:06 PM   #6

Since you're moving overseas for an extended period, perhaps it might be best to wait untill you're over there. Frequently, when you buy a camera in one country, and it needs warranty service in another country, the warranty is denied.

Both the Nikon D90 and the Canon 50D are very fine cameras, but the 50D has a 15MP image sensor, while the 90D has a 12MP image sensor.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:10 PM   #7

I'm sorry to keep bugging you guys but I have one more question. Originally I was looking at the Nikon 5000. If I pay more and go with the d90 what is it I'm really paying more for? Is the body actually better? I'm just not sure, am I paying more for a better stock lense or more for a better body? I know either way I'm going to need to buy more lenses down the road and I'm willing to spend the money. I just want to make sure it's actually worth it.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:13 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMGURL03 View Post
Thank you, I've been down to look at both of them at my local Best Buy but since they were both foreign to me I found that I think I could get used to either one. I just wasn't sure if one was actually better than the other in anyway. As of now I don't see myself using the video feature, but at the same time I'm sure at somepoint I would wish I had it if I didn't. As far as the lenses go, are Nikon or Canon better or equal?
there is little difference in the Canon versus Nikon lens selection.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:14 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMGURL03 View Post
I'm sorry to keep bugging you guys but I have one more question. Originally I was looking at the Nikon 5000. If I pay more and go with the d90 what is it I'm really paying more for? Is the body actually better? I'm just not sure, am I paying more for a better stock lense or more for a better body? I know either way I'm going to need to buy more lenses down the road and I'm willing to spend the money. I just want to make sure it's actually worth it.
the D5000 does not have a built in focus motor. so certain nikon lenses will not autofocus on it. you are also paying for better build quality and some better performance.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the D5000 does not have a built in focus motor. so certain nikon lenses will not autofocus on it. you are also paying for better build quality and some better performance.

In addition control is a little easier with the 2 command dials. The D5k requires you to dive into menus to change some settings. The D90 also has a larger LCd with better resolution. On the other hand the d5k has the articulating display which is useful in some circumstances.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote