Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:29 PM   #11

tsmith-

No, offense intended at all. However, the Best shot feature was unique to Nikon point and shoot cameras about 4 years ago. Neither of the cameras he recommended are Nikon brand point and shoot camera. What are we to believe? Who knows? That sounds pretty murky, honestly. I guess it suffices to say that salesmen have strange and unfathomable motivations

His secondary statement that this so called "rapid fire" feature, "...would help me to catch action shots with multi-subjects (pets, children) with better focus and picture quality..." you see, I am making a direct quote from your most recent post.

Now let's be honest and even analytical here. His secondary statement is not true, at the very best, it might be only at best, by giving him the greatest leeway possible, only partially true.

Please don't let some guy whose only thought is the hot date he has for Saturday night and the commission he earn to pay for that hot date, tell you totally false statements that are patently not true.

We have to keep track of fact and reality, and this guy's statements just don't hold water.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:38 PM   #12
Super Moderator

keep in mind the guy down at the local camera shop is a salesman. some have good knowledge, most do not.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:42 PM   #13

Default Hmm...

So you are saying that neither of those cameras has the ability to take multiple shots with one click and "stitch" the shots together?

Perhaps it would be more helpful if you are willing to share your hands-on experience with the 3 cameras you own as far as taking action shots and as far as picture quality. Your insights would be much appreciated.

Oh, and he was in his 60's - I doubt he was thinking about his hot Saturday night date! but who knows... He actually seemed very helpful and had no problem with the fact that I was looking and not yet buying.
tsmith870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:44 PM   #14

I have the Panasonic FZ28 and like it. It has great zoom range (27 - 486mm) and has a decent burst mode (3 or 4 shots in just over a second). It is also better at higher ISO level than most of its superzoom rivals. I have taken it baseball, football, and basketball es. It was not bad. However, it is nowhere as good, image quality wise, in low light as a DSLR and it can't track moving objects as fast as a DSLR. The successor to this camera is the FZ35, which has 12 megapixel images, not 10. It has reportedly a very short shutter lag. However, the burst mode is slightly slower than the FZ28 (from what I have read).

If I could spend between $500 and $1,000, I would strongly consider the Pentax K-X and an 18-250 telephoto zoom lens or (cheaper) a Fuji S200EXR. The former would give you better image quality in low light. The latter would save you money and relieve you of having to change lenses.

I also recently got the Casio FH-20. It has an absolutely great burst mode, up to 40 shots per second, but it is not especially good in low light and it goes through batteries pretty fast. Image quality at ISO 100 and 200 is pretty good, though.

Last edited by robbo; Nov 5, 2009 at 9:25 PM.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:16 PM   #15

tsmith-

Let's pull together the hands-on experience material. The salesman you spoke to today (11/05) did not own these cameras, nor did he use any of the cameras he spoke so eloquently to you about, no matter what his age might be.

Robbo reports that the Casio FH-20 can do well with Burst Mode actions when you have sufficient light. When you have less than normal light things become very different rather quickly.

I can report on the Fuji F-70EXR, the Sony WX-1, the Kodak Z-950, and the Sony H-20 cameras. Each of those cameras is capable of repetitive shots, one after another, while they produce excellent image quality. That is real life experience.

So, tsmith, unless you have some very sophisticated and very unusual camera needs that we are not aware of thus far in this thread, it would seem that just about any of these suggested cameras are capable of meeting your photographic needs.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:48 AM   #16

The cameras that the salesmen mentioned to you are decent cameras. I played around with the Sony in a camera shop about 3 weeks ago. It does have a sweep panorama function like the one on the superzoom HX1 which instantly stitches together images into a panorama with a single press of the shutter. It has a back lit sensor which is supposed to give it better performance in low light. The Casio he mentioned is similar in many features to the FH-20 I have. Very, very fast burst mode. The downfall of both these cameras in the eyes of many reviewers and some owners is image quality. It is supposed to be ok, not great. The Casio is said to be good at ISO 100 and 200, but not that great at higher settings. I have this experience with the FH-20. I don't mind. But if you are a stickler to top notch image quality, you may be disappointed. If you still want to check the Casio out, take an SD card with you to the camera store and ask the salesmen if you can take some sample shots to test the image quality. I think the Sony uses just Sony's propietary memory sticks, so unless you have one, you may not have this chance.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote