Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:40 PM   #1

Default Also going insane....

My Canon Rebel XTi is not working. It has been sent in for diagnosis and repair. In the meantime, I desperately need a camera. I have found the dslr quite bulky for sporting events, vacations, etc and would like a point & shoot for those things.

I was trying to keep the cost less than $200. Earlier this week I purchased the Casio Exilim EX-S5 - in my opinion it has very poor picture quality. I then purchased the Canon SD1200 IS - picture quality better but if there is action in the shot, it focuses on only 1 person/object and the other(s) are out of focus.

I'm willing to spend more $ in order to get truly good quality. I'm going crazy reading reviews and trying to make a selection! Several of the Panasonic Lumix cameras seem to get good reviews - though I haven't yet researched the differences between the LX, ZS and TZ lines. The Fuji Finepix F200 EXR also seems to get good reviews.

Any information and/or suggestions will be much appreciated! The camera will primarily be used for pics of moving children and pets, sporting events (both day & night), holidays, & vacations. Thanks!
tsmith870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:19 AM   #2

Hi there, tsmith-

Welcome to the Forum! We are glad that you stopped by.

Your experience is one that is shared by many folks. You desire more than a point and shoot camera can provide, and perhaps even more important you place a value on portability. After all, it is when it is convenient, and we have a good camera with us, that we get some of the best and most memorable photos.

If you want a very good camera, and can handle a good deal of photographic complexity, then the Fuji F-200EXR is a very good camera. On the other hand if you want a really smart camera that takes photographic automation to a new level, will still providing a compact size, then take a look at the very well priced Kodak Z-950, or the Sony H-20 cameras.

I have always been a big fan of Panasonic cameras, so when the new ZS-series was introduced, I purchased the ZS1 camera as soon as it came to market. The camera is wonderful in an outdoor setting. It is indoors, when you must depend on the ZS1/ZS3's built-in flash unit that things begin to unravel big time. The flash unit is too small and to weak to be of much use. The effective flash range is only 6 to 8 feet, which mean that you can only have one, or at most two people in your photo.

Can you tell us more about the "...sporting events (both day and night)...that sounds like something that a camera like your Canon XTi could handle best. But with a bit more information, we can sort it out for you.

Have a great day. We look forward to hearing from you with more information.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Super Moderator

to echo what sarah says. your expectations of a compact p&s being capable of shooting action and sports is not feasible really at this point in technology. keep your dslr for that.

buy your p&s for general carry, convenience, vacations. if you have these expectations in mind as you look into the various p&s available to you, you will be much happier with the results.

best of luck!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

Can you tell us more about the "...sporting events (both day and night)...that sounds like something that a camera like your Canon XTi could handle best. But with a bit more information, we can sort it out for you.
The sporting events mostly include childrens' soccer, football, and basketball games. But we also often attend college football games and would like to take pics there as well.

Thanks so much for the feedback so far! It is a big help to know I should probably rule out the Panasonic lines for what I need to do.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:18 PM   #5

tsmith-

Use your the Canon XTi for those sporting events. Then you will have the convenience of a small, very portable point and shoot camera for the balance of your photo needs.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:54 PM   #6

Default From reading some reviews

it seems like shutter lag is an issue with both the Kodak and the Sony. Even if I use my XTi for sporting events, I'll still need to capture children & pets in motion. Do you think this would be an issue? Are there other cameras that might meet my needs but have less time between focus & snap and less time between pictures?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:14 PM   #7

tsmith-

Thanks for your post. However, I happen to own both the Kodak Z-950 and the Sony H-20 and neither have any significant shutter lag.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:05 PM   #8

Default Feedback on a couple of other possibilities...

These were suggested to me by the salesperson at a camera store. He said either of them would do a better job of taking pictures using "rapid firing" which would minimize blur with multiple subjects. His suggestions were the Casio FC100 or the Sony DSC WX1.

Does anyone have any feedback on these two cameras versus the others discussed in this thread (FujiFilm F200 EXR, Panasonic Lumix, Kodak Z950, Sony H20)?

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:02 PM   #9

tsmith-

I am very happy to speak to your issue, as I have hands on experience and actually own 3 of the 5 cameras under discussion. While I do not own the Fuji F-70EXR camera any longer, because I returned it, the Fuji F-70 is very close in its features to the Fuji F-200EXR camera. So, essentially I have a good deal of hands-on experience with 4 out 5 of the cameras under discussion.

When you use the term"rapid firing, are you specifically referring to shots made in the Burst Mode, or are you referring to the shot to shot times encountered when moving form one shot to the next.

If you are indeed referring to shots taken during a Burst Mode, that would change things substantially. So our first task would be to settle the exact definition of your specific term, "rapid firing."

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 5, 2009, 7:04 PM   #10

Default Ah - wonderful that you have hands-on experience!!!

Well, both I think.

"Rapid firing" was the salesman's terminology. He went on to explain that both of those cameras have little shutter delay between individual pictures. However, he said the key/unique feature was that they both have the ability to take several shots when you hold down the button and then (somehow) the camera chooses the in-focus bits from each of those shots to produce one in-focus picture. He said this would help me to catch action shots with multi-subjects (pets, children) with better focus and picture quality. (Though still not as good as a dslr...)