Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:25 AM   #1

Default Best digital camera under $100?

What is the best digital p & s under $100 (or close to that)? I have tried serveral Casios, including the Z-80, the S10 and new Z33. The Z33 has a 230K viewfinder (improvment over the older Casio budget models) but they seemed to all produce greatly undersaturated pictures when shooting outdoors, unless I change the WB everytime (go from Auto to Outdoors WB).

Thanks
mfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:15 PM   #2

Hi there, mfox-

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for dropping by.

If you want to stay with Casio, look at the EX-S5. However, a much better choice would be the Canon A-480 Camera. Good luck.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:13 PM   #3

Thanks you. Any other thoughts? I'm about to return the Casio EX-z33. I was trying it today outdoors and the results were all over the place in terms of undersaturation and color accuracy.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:21 PM   #4

mfox-

The under $100.00 market is a tough market. Kodak has some offerings as well in that price range.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:38 PM   #5

Thanks. What about the Nikon S220?, which is about $250.00?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:37 AM   #6

mfox-

While the Nikon S220 is not a very good camera, it is only selling for around $130.00.

The issue with the S220 is it inability to focus the proposed photo in low light situations. What does "low light" mean? Well the professional reviewer, in making his point made this statement:

"The Nikon S220 needs more light to focus that one might suspect. It could not focus correctly in light under which I could easily read a book."

Let's take a moment please, and revisit your priorities. We know that you want an camera if possible priced at $100 or less. Now the nikon S220 camera was a very small camera, a type called an ultra compact camera. Do you also have a priority for an ultra compact camera as well?

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:06 AM   #7

Thank you for your help in this. In regard to my priorities, ultracompact is not an absolute priority, but it would be nice. I think a 230K lcd viewfinder is a priority. The Canon you mentioned has a 170K one (I think). I have tried other ones with that low resolution lcd screen and I think it becomes a problem in terms of judging the quality of the picture you have taken without having to download it to a computer first to view it. After the lcd resolution, I would say color accuracy, then how fast you can take pictures, then low light. In the past I have tried:
Casio Ex-Z80
Casio Ex-Z10
Olympus FE 1070 (much higher price than the others)
Casio Ex-Z33
Nikon L11

I have looked at on-line in the past few days the Samsung L202, the Nikon S220, and various Kodaks. I would say the price range is now $100-$150.
Thanks
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:05 AM   #8

Hi mfox, sorry for jumping in to your thread.

I'm currently considering to bu Casio Exilim Z33. Had read several reviews about it and I realized that it doesn't have AF-assist lamp with it.

How about the auto-focusing performance, especially on indoor situation?

Since you've tried Z33, I hope you can help me with this..

Sorry for interupting your thread..
Thanks in advance

david
Klinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:45 AM   #9

Default $99.81 Camera!

mfox-

The Panasonic FS-42 offers a lot of camera for the price, and it is currently on a Christmas Sale at J&R electronics (www.jr.com).
The FS-42 normally sells for $149.99, but this weekend is on sale at $99.81. It pretty well meets you intended camera specifications.

Please also keep in mind that you can download for free from Google a copy of Picasa 3.0 which is a very easy to use photo editing program that would allow you to adjust you photos however you desire them, quite easily. I have attached a specifications list of the FS-42 for your reference.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 5, 2009 at 8:59 AM.