Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2009, 3:43 AM   #1

Default Pocket sized slim, fast shutter, above average picture quality, low light performance

Greetings,

After a short jaunt through the point-an-shoot camera market I have become quite befuddled with the many options out there. I have come here to present what I would love to have and I would greatly appreciate any opinions on what camera I should purchase. Thanks in advance for your time.

Requirements:

- Pocket sized slim, which means the ability to slide it into and out of your (jean's) pocket easily. Also that the camera does not bulge too much in your pocket. I'm not crazy about it being the slimmest camera in the world, but I'll pay more for this feature. I assume this is called "ultra-slim" in the camera world.

- Also I would love if if was quick to go from sleep to taking a picture (start-to-shoot as I call it). I will pay more for this, but I'm not crazy about a .1 second difference. I am shooting for something under or around 2 seconds, if that sounds reasonable.

- On the same note I would also like it to have a fast, between the shots time (shutter lag). This is not as important as the start-to-shoot time, but I will pay more for this feature.

- Ease of use. I would love to not have to read the manual to get it taking quality pictures, and anyone who picks it up should be able to just click and go.

- Above average picture quality. I understand megapixels are not everything, I currently make due with my iPhone camera so pretty much anything above that will impress me here.

- A decent (around 40%) amount of my shots will be in nighttime situations, bars/clubs, homes at nighttime with lower light. Would love if it could hold it's own even with flash. Will pay more for this feature.

Shooting subjects:
- Inside a home, outdoor but close pictures
- Indoor, bars/clubs and homes with low-light situations
- Vacations, school, parties, etc. situations if that helps.
- Not much need for alot of zoom.
- Subjects will not be moving around too much and will generally be at the same distance, but this rule is not hard and fast...for instance dancing, however I can't see myself taking pictures of sports events...

Price:
- Would like to pay less than $300, around $200 would be wonderful. But a camera at various price points would be excellent (Example: $150, $225, $300, $350, $400). Will go higher if it will last longer and the price can be justified. I would like this to be my go-to camera for everything personal for quite some time.

Through my searches I have found that these cameras might meet my needs:

Sony Cybershot DSC-T90/P
Sony Cybershot DSC-TX1/H (I saw the TX1 has "Exmor R" for low light and a panoramic ability, features I would love...but it kinda looks like a gimmick...)
Samsung TL100
Samsung ST50
Casio Exilim EXS770
Canon PowerShot SD990 IS
Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS
GE G2

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

Last edited by vrej; Nov 5, 2009 at 4:00 AM.
vrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:00 AM   #2

vrej-

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for dropping by.

In going over your request/specifications very carefully, unfortunately it appears that your budget and your requirements are somewhat incompatible. so, let's double check those requirements once more, please.

It would appear that you want to take these photos under very, very low light level conditions without using your camera's built-in flash unit. Would that be correct? Because if the camera's built-in flash unit is to be used, that will open up a few added camera possibilities. You seem your requirements, as I understand them, are technically/ photographically very demanding. So, let's get a clarification before we begin this camera search.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 2:33 PM   #3

My apologies I was using confusing language there, I meant to say that I would greatly value low-light performance and I don't mind using the built-in flash. It is also my understanding that using the flash will increase the time from start-up to shoot and the shot-to-shot times which I am ok with. However, faster times using the flash would be desirable as well.

Thank you for your response mtclimber!

Last edited by vrej; Nov 5, 2009 at 2:36 PM.
vrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:05 PM   #4

You didn't mention fuji, but here's one to look at..

Robert

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Finep.../dp/B000MCZFQ0
Hawgwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:33 PM   #5

vrej-

Robert has provided an excellent possible camera suggestion and I also have a camera suggestion for you as well that might save you some $$.

My suggestion is the Kodak Z-915 camera which uses SD cards, AA batteries, and sells for $199.00 list price. However I have seen it today at $156.00. However, it might noy be as small as you desire. It is 1.4 inches thick and does not even cover a $1 bill, as the attached photo demonstrates.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote