Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:05 PM   #1

Default Best Ultra-Compact Camera

Hi All,

Had my brand new Panasonic Lumix TS1 stolen at Oktoberfest. I am now shopping for another camera. This time around I am focusing on ultra-compact vs. waterproof.

What I'd like: Ultra compact camera with the best picture quality, fast focus in low light, decent startup time, good flash. This camera will mostly be used for pictures at bars, parties, etc, when I don't want to carry around a larger camera but would like to snap off some good shots for facebook, etc.

Price is not a limiter - just looking for the absolute best picture quality in the smallest package (cool looking a nice plus).

Thanks!
mrEzE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:47 PM   #2

What I'd like: Ultra compact camera with the best picture quality, fast focus in low light, decent startup time, good flash. This camera will mostly be used for pictures at bars, parties, etc, when I don't want to carry around a larger camera but would like to snap off some good shots for facebook, etc.

Price is not a limiter - just looking for the absolute best picture quality in the smallest package (cool looking a nice plus).

I wanted a small camera, high quality that would take excellent pictures.

I wanted point and shoot size smaller than a DSLR...but with the same pix quality as a DSLR.

I looked seriously at the Canon G10...but in the end I bought a small DSLR (Pentax KM) as the pix quality in a DSLR, even a basic one is hard to beat.

Canon has brought out the G11. The Canon G series I believe is generally regarded as one of the better small cameras...but it's pricey. There are also some good , smaller cameras from Sigma and Panasonic...they're also pricey.

Perhaps someone with these cameras could post some pictures and you could determine if it meets your standards.

There is also a website that you can compare pictures taken under the same lighting conditions at different ISO's and you can compare pix from different cameras against their competitors. Don't know the web...but it does give you an idea.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:15 PM   #3
Super Moderator

well since you have owned panasonic before. the LX3 does about as well in low-light as any compact can. (keep in mind its still not in the ballpark of a dslr)

its a very nice camera with a good lens and good build construction.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:29 AM   #4

Ok, thanks for the tips I will check these two out.
mrEzE is offline   Reply With Quote