Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
... I never realized that Minolta's were in space. ...
John Glenn took a Minolta Hi-Matic on his trip in Friendship-7. It was purchased at a local drug store and modified so he could use it while wearing his pressure suit. [http://history.nasa.gov/apollo_photo.html]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
John Glenn took a Minolta Hi-Matic on his trip in Friendship-7. It was purchased at a local drug store and modified so he could use it while wearing his pressure suit. [http://history.nasa.gov/apollo_photo.html]
Says a lot about the quality of the camera.

One Minolta I desired was the small rangefinder with interchangeable lenses. It was a jewel, albeit an expensive jewel. I believe it was current ('80's ?) when Minolta had a link with Leica...was it the CL ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:47 PM   #23

To get back to the question before this thread got hijacked with some very cute pictures, while the Pentax owners manual will help you a great deal and is indispensable, it's pretty dry and is long on 'how' but short on 'why'. There's a very active Pentax dSLR section of this board with a bunch of people who are very happy to explain/answer whatever questions you might have.

I like using the 'P' mode over the green mode (complete automatic). Program mode lets the camera make the decisions but gives you the ability to over-ride it if you want, something you can't do with the green mode. My husband (who only uses a camera when we are on vacation and who knows very little about photography) can take nice pictures using it, and I like it because it gives me the choice of either leaving it all to the camera, or changing aperture or shutter speed if I don't like what the camera chooses.

A good general photography book is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. I found it quite useful. As far as photography classes - I'd really like to take one sometime. However, you can learn the basics on your own easily enough. And when you have a camera specific question, wander over to the Pentax dSLR section and ask.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:03 AM   #24

Thanks so much! I will ask Santa to bring me that book.
kristinmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:03 AM   #25

Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Photography Field Guide" is also a good book I think. Check it out.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote